View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Lars Ulrich On The Reverence Of Classical Metal

Source: Google News / Rolling Stones

Metallica visited a store of my local record store chain ( Rasputin's ) over the weekend. Not quite the store that I frequent but it's a just few minutes away. I would have gone but I was in Los Angeles for a show.

It's a good read but this quote stands out for me:

Have you thought about the climate into which you'll be dropping this new album? What is the state of metal today?

I think you saw. Metal is fucking alive and well and doing better than it has in many years. It seems like most of the metal in the Seventies and the Eighties is still revered. It seems like most fourteeen year olds are into Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, as opposed to some alternative, grunge and especially the rap-rock of the Nineties. When you've been around a while you tend to disregard cycles, but there is a resurgence way deeper and more penetrating into the fourteen-year-old mindset all over. It's unbelievable.

I talk to my bass teacher about this and a lot of you quite frequently. Some of you are way into bands that started way before you were born.. damn, almost before I was born... I was certainly too young to listen to 'em. How did you all of you get turned on the classics?