View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Combination of things really. My Dad was a Queen fan and a Led Zep fan. Hadn't really heard LZ, but, as is in fact law in England, we had Queen cassettes in the car. So it started there.

Heard lots of stuff on the radio as well from all different eras and styles and the stuff that always peaked my interest the most was things like Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi and Aerosmith. Then I heard "Smoke On The Water" on a TV advert and asked my Dad what it was. Following that I resolved to get Deep Purple's "30: The Very Best of". Loved that, so moved on to the other stuff I'd heard on the radio. Got Aerosmith's "A Little South of Sanity", Jon Bon Jovi's "Destination Anywhere" and Guns N' Roses' "Appetite For Destruction".

Then I was at my uncle's house and he played me Dio's "Lock Up The Wolves", some Ozzy, and lent me a compilation album of classic rock which presented me with a few more bands to check out. Totally blown away by Dio, so resolved to one day get that album (it was real hard to find at the time). And also decided heavy was the way forward. Metallica then released "S&M" and as soon as I listened to a couple of tracks of that on a set of trial headphones in a HMV store I was sold.

Started buying issues of Classic Rock Magazine and the first one I bought had a CD with "I Wanna Be Somebody" by W.A.S.P. on it (they were just releasing "The Best of The Best"). That sealed the deal with heavy metal.

Someone at college lent me Maiden's "Best of The Beast" and Motorhead's "Ace of Spades". Didn't really like Motorhead at the time (still don't like that album much), but was sold on Maiden.

Then a local record store in my town (closed down now) had this on-going "4 for 20" sale on all the old classic rock, pop and metal albums, so I could pick up stuff by Ozzy, Sabbath, Maiden, Aerosmith, Priest, Purple, Cooper etc. cheap. That's where most of my money went while I was at college.

It's just grown exponentially from there.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen

Last edited by ravenheart; 04-23-2008 at 07:53 AM.