View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You

It seems every list has that one sort of 'pop' album on it. The one you don't necessarily feel good about liking, but you have to include it anyway because you do like it goddammit! I'm With You is basically that album for me. With the departure of John Frusciante, and the induction of a new guitarist, the members of RHCP kept saying that this album was a sort of reinvention for them and things of that nature. I'll just say that that is absolutely false and this album basically sounds the same as they have sounded since Californication. But in my opinion that isn't a bad thing.

In fact this album manages to avoid a lot of the traps that recent RHCP albums have fallen into, such as when what was a potentially great album -Stadium Arcadium was bogged down by too many songs (and thus too many mediocre songs), and By The Way had long stretches of songs where nothing exciting happened. This doesn't happen here. The songs are in no way inspired or particularly creative, but they do a good job in the soft-rock-that-sometimes-remembers-funk-roots niche that RHCP have been known for. I happen to like that style, and this album works better for it than most, so it can't be helped that I would like I'm With You this much. Very fun listen.

Recommended songs:
"The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie"
"Police Station"

Last edited by SomewhereInTime72; 12-28-2011 at 09:51 AM.