View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

And now comes the good ol' top 10 countdown.

Dir En Grey - Dum Spiro Spero

If I had to describe this album in one word, it would be "deliberate." If I could use three words, it would be "weird as FUCK." Japan's Dir En Grey have always had a bizarre edge to them, exuding a certain level of weirdness and progressiveness, but it all finally comes to a head in the grand experiment of Dum Spiro Spero. After listening to this album for the first time my initial reaction was genuine confusion. But upon subsequent listens, this album grew stronger and stronger in my eyes.

I say deliberate because, for all the bizarre sounds on this album, whether it be haunting guitar or piano melodies, unusual rhythm sections, or the weird interjections of harsh screaming and atmospheric falsetto - you can tell that it's all meticulously planned. This is something which a lot of work has gone into, even the fleeting dissonance and growls are performed with a solid intention. Even in the more straightforward moments on the album, the riffs and leads are all great, and vocalist Kyo proves that he knows what the fuck to do at all times in some of the best vocal performances I've heard in metal (even if I have no idea what the fuck he is saying). This is a unique album, that I could completely understand someone hating, but definitely deserves a listen (or many listens ) from anyone who's into the experimental or prog side of metal.

Recommended songs:
"The Blossoming Beelzebub"
"Hageshisa To, Kono Mune No Naka De Karamitsuita Shakunetsu No Yami "
"Vanitas"