Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Lars Ulrich On The Reverence Of Classical Metal

Source: Google News / Rolling Stones

Metallica visited a store of my local record store chain ( Rasputin's ) over the weekend. Not quite the store that I frequent but it's a just few minutes away. I would have gone but I was in Los Angeles for a show.

It's a good read but this quote stands out for me:

Have you thought about the climate into which you'll be dropping this new album? What is the state of metal today?

I think you saw. Metal is fucking alive and well and doing better than it has in many years. It seems like most of the metal in the Seventies and the Eighties is still revered. It seems like most fourteeen year olds are into Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, as opposed to some alternative, grunge and especially the rap-rock of the Nineties. When you've been around a while you tend to disregard cycles, but there is a resurgence way deeper and more penetrating into the fourteen-year-old mindset all over. It's unbelievable.

I talk to my bass teacher about this and a lot of you quite frequently. Some of you are way into bands that started way before you were born.. damn, almost before I was born... I was certainly too young to listen to 'em. How did you all of you get turned on the classics?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
N00B

im 16 and i love Maiden, Priest and those older metal bands. what really got me into Maiden and Priest was VH1 when they did that top 100 hard rock bands and when they got to those two bands i started to listen to their music. then i heard hallowed be thy name on the radio and i was hooked for ever.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I remember about a year and a half ago, I remember listening to "Run To The Hills" and not knowing who it was by, just "that band that plays Run To The Hills".

Last summer, on a whim I got The Number Of The Beast and that kick-started my "classic" metal interest. When I first started listening to metal, I was thrust in at the extreme end. I listened to Anaal Nathrakh, Antaeus, Immortal, etc. I couldn't name a Priest or Maiden song to save my life.

Now, of course, it's a different story.
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
In Search of Truth

I was into modern and classic rock (mostly popular radio stuff) alike before I liked metal.
I got into Maiden through "2 Minutes to Midnight" appearing on GTA: Vice City back in 2002, and promptly picked up the newly released Edward the Great and Brave New World the day after that. Things became a downward spiral after that. I was addicted to Maiden and that basically knocked down the door to classic metal in general. Soon someone on the old Maiden message board turned me onto Stratovarius, which then opened the door to power metal for me. Shortly thereafter Queensryche enlightened me to progressive metal... since then it's basically been just a matter of expanding both vertically and horizontally taste-wise.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

some homo in college who wore maiden shirts to class every day

Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
D.B.B.

well i started by listening to stuff like linkin park, slipknot, and korn. then i evoled into the other stuff
Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I don't remember how I got into music.

Help .
Old 04-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
I got into Maiden through "2 Minutes to Midnight" appearing on GTA: Vice City back in 2002,
Wow, you became a power metal nut because of Vice City? Am I the only one who thinks that's hilarious?

As for me, the first 80's metal song I heard was "Crazy Train" on the radio, which caused me into Ozzy's stuff, which of course led to Black Sabbath. Then I decided to look upon bands that Sabbath influenced, one of which was Metallica, which caused me to be a Metallica nut. Then I decided to look at the other bands which influenced Metallica, two of which just so happened to be Iron Maiden and Motorhead...

...degrees of seperation really.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
N00B

Heard Ministry's Psalm 69 (specifically the title track and Jesus Built my hot rod) in 1993 and its been metal ever since. First show was Ministry at the Electric Factory in April of 1996.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

In 7th grade, I was looking for a q-tip or something in the cabinet under the bathroom sink, which contained a box of my parents CD's. I saw a box with a cool cover on it, pictures of a crop circle with the shadow of a blimp, Andy Warhol style in multiple colors. It said 'Led Zeppelin' and I remembered hearing things about how great the band was. Before this, the only music I had gotten into was a few techno songs played on the radio, and cKy a year or so earlier.
So I opened the box, uploaded the 2 cd's onto the computer and put them back so no one would ever know they were gone. I started listening to all of it whenever I went on the computor, and I actually recognized a few songs like the Immigrant Song and Kasmir. The rest is history.

AC/DC was the next thing for me, and thats where it started going crazy. After having TNT and half of the Back in Black album stuck in my head from the radio for weeks, I bought Back in Black, and found Blizzard of Oz on the sale rack for 6.99. No more than 2 weeks later I was subconsciously forced to buy Paranoid, and I was hooked.
I kept going back for more Sabbath and AC/DC while still checking out different bands, Kiss, Hendrix, the Ramones and Van Halen.

Once I discovered Priest I began exploring metal, and without even realizing, doing it by each era, getting into heavier and more progressive material as time went on.