The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Altars of Radness

Children of Bodom -- Santa Ana, CA -- February 13th, 2012

As Children of Bodom has descended into mediocrity I have become less and less interested in seeing them live. Last year's tour had an extremely disappointing setlist and it felt like it might be the nail in the coffin. To my surprise they decided to celebrate their 15th anniversary (starting from the release of Something Wild) with another tour. They didn't do anything for the 10th anniversary, so I hadn't even thought of this as a possibility. Seeing as the recent setlists have been less than satisfying, I couldn't pass up the opportunity for an anniversary tour. It would be a chance for me to reminisce and hear some of my favorite songs live.

The venue was one I had never been to before, or even heard of for that matter. It was a theater in downtown Santa Ana that looked more like a courthouse from the outside. Despite arriving during Threat Signal's set there was still a long line to get in. They were incredibly slow at frisking people and they made everybody wear a wristband, despite whether or not you were over 21. When somebody questioned the security about the wristbands he responded, "I don't know, man. It's stupid." By the time I got inside Revocation was setting up their equipment. I was pleased since I wasn't interested in seeing Threat Signal anyway. I noticed that the venue was set up weird, with only one entrance to the pit. A lot of people just climbed over the railing because there were too many people crowded around the ramp, which was near the stage. It was pretty packed inside

Eventually Revocation was done sound checking and the lights dimmed. I was hoping they would throw "Cradle Robber" into the set, but they played the same songs they had played in Hollywood a couple days prior. That was a bit of a let down, but they still put on an incredible performance. Although there was a bit of feedback during the first song, overall the sound was much clearer than at The Roxy. I could hear David's vocals perfectly and the guitars were very even, instead of sounding like they were fighting each other. They got some nice pits going, but the overall reception was better when they opened for Exhumed. The people in the front just seemed confused, or perhaps they didn't like them. Despite this, I enjoyed them more this time around since the sound was better. Hopefully next time around they will put together a better setlist.
  1. Harlot
  2. Age of Iniquity
  3. Dismantle the Dictator
  4. Across Forests and Fjords
  5. Conjuring the Cataclysm
  6. No Funeral

I wasn't sure what to expect from Eluveitie, since I had never seen them before. I'm not that familiar with their discography either, but I know I enjoy Slania and some of the other material. When they started off with "Everything Remains as it Never Was" I was astounded by how great they sounded. With so many instruments they still pulled off the songs perfectly. I was seduced by the beautiful folk melodies and Meri's violin playing. The audience seemed to enjoy them a lot and the pits were much more intense than they were for Revocation. Before (Do)minion Chrigel asked for a wall of death, and of course the crowd complied. I have to say, although they sounded great, I was a bit disappointed in the song choices. I would have loved to hear "Omnos" and another off of Slania, but this was still a good introduction for me.
  1. Everything Remains as it Never Was
  2. Nil
  3. Kingdom Come Undone
  4. Havoc
  5. A Rose for Epona
  6. Meet the Enemy
  7. (Do)minion
  8. Quoth the Raven
  9. Inis Mona

Now it was time for what the show had culminated to, Children of Bodom. After seeing the sets from earlier in the tour I was a little uneasy, but after they substituted "Not My Funeral" and "Roundtrip to Hell and Back" for some more classics I was much more excited. I still wish they had played all of "Deadnight Warrior," but the addition of "Lake Bodom" made me not mind that so much. One of the major highlights for me was finally seeing them play "Kissing the Shadows," which has always been one of my favorites. During "Silent Night, Bodom Night" I crowd surfed and was conveniently dropped near the front. I fell in the center, so I was able to see Alexi shredding up close. As usual, they put on a remarkable show with a great stage presence. The timing between the dual guitar and keyboard solos was right on point. I noticed that Alexi was drinking water instead of beer this time, so perhaps that helped with his performance, which has been known to be sloppy on occasion. Overall I was very pleased with the song choices and I would say this is the best set they have done in the past five years or so. It was one of those shows where you walk out and think, "I wish I could travel to the next city just to see them again."
  1. Sixpounder
  2. Are You Dead Yet?
  3. Silent Night, Bodom Night
  4. Kissing the Shadows
  5. Shovel Knockout
  6. Living Dead Beat
  7. Everytime I Die
  8. Deadnight Warrior / Hate Me!
  9. Blooddrunk
  10. Angels Don't Kill
  11. In Your Face
  12. Lake Bodom
  13. Hate Crew Deathroll
    ---
  14. Bodom After Midnight
  15. Downfall
Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I wasn't sure what to expect from Eluveitie, since I had never seen them before. I'm not that familiar with their discography either, but I know I enjoy Slania and some of the other material. When they started off with "Everything Remains as it Never Was" I was astounded by how great they sounded. With so many instruments they still pulled off the songs perfectly. I was seduced by the beautiful folk melodies and Meri's violin playing. The audience seemed to enjoy them a lot and the pits were much more intense than they were for Revocation. Before (Do)minion Chrigel asked for a wall of death, and of course the crowd complied. I have to say, although they sounded great, I was a bit disappointed in the song choices. I would have loved to hear "Omnos" and another off of Slania, but this was still a good introduction for me.
  1. Everything Remains as it Never Was
  2. Nil
  3. Kingdom Come Undone
  4. Havoc
  5. A Rose for Epona
  6. Meet the Enemy
  7. (Do)minion
  8. Quoth the Raven
  9. Inis Mona
Yeah, I've seen them four times now and this was by far the weakest set list that they have played. Seeing them headline though is a wonder to behold!
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

About time they put up a good set with old songs! Also, Revocation must have been awesome, I've seen them 3 years ago with like 40 people in a small venue... it was crazy.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Tags
children of bodom, eluveitie, revocation