Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher-NY View Post
I saw Dark Angel a few times on the east coast back in the day, great band, great guys. Quick Story,,,,Gene was always a big supporter of my band Prime Evil in the early days. One day my bass player Mary says she is bringing a surprise guest to practice. An hour later Gene Hoglan walks through the door.....at that time we recognized his godliness right up there with Lombardo.....this was 1986 or 87? Anyway he watched practice, then jumped behind the kit and we playerd a bunch of Slayer covers from the first 2 albums, it was fucking insane...the guy at times was playing sick double bass with one foot! Gave our drummer a clinic he will never forget..... Gene was and is the coolest ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngdymond View Post
wow

I went o this show with my buddy Joey

all i remember about it that it was louder than hell and when we left a bunch of church people were outside trying to speak with us and save our souls we went to the rainbow for a pizza and beer after the show with Joeys dad and explained how dark angel were not devil worshipers ha ha fun night but where the hell did the time go

dark angel did play a few months later and the singer don was on some serious drugs and jumped into the pit and got his ass beat got back on stage with a black eye and was replaced a few songs later by a roadie who sang more the show in king diamond style what a night that was i believe possessed played that night at fenders in long beach maybe april 1987
Thanks for sharing those stories. They were truly a great read. I wish more old school folks came on here and shared their stories from concerts of the past. One that always stands out to me was Jhedity's review of seeing Metallica during their Ride The lighting Tour.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard in Black 666 View Post
Thanks for sharing those stories. They were truly a great read. I wish more old school folks came on here and shared their stories from concerts of the past. One that always stands out to me was Jhedity's review of seeing Metallica during their Ride The lighting Tour.
Thanks for the props man. Yeah I never got to see Dark Angel with Don. I did see them headline on the Leave Scars tour which was one of my favorite shows back then too.

Funny thing reading through this thread. When I 1st discovered Death Angel I was really into them. I was talking metal with a guy I met at a show and he asked if I was into Dark Angel and I responded don't you mean Death Angel? He said no, they're ok but Dark Angel are WAY better. I thought he was nuts and went out and picked up Darkness Descends a few days later.

Needless to say I called him a few days later and thanked him for turning me onto them. While I like Death Angel, Dark Angel are and will always be ranked several notches higher in my book. The same guy turned me onto Sadus so it's funny how a chance meeting can change who we are or influence our musical tastes so dramatically.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Funny thing reading through this thread. When I 1st discovered Death Angel I was really into them. I was talking metal with a guy I met at a show and he asked if I was into Dark Angel and I responded don't you mean Death Angel? He said no, they're ok but Dark Angel are WAY better. I thought he was nuts and went out and picked up Darkness Descends a few days later.
So many Angel bands. I remember reading in Choosing Death how David Vincent would shop Morbid Angel around to record labels and one executive told him how they'll sign the band if they'll change the name, just to avoid confusion with all the Angel bands and Vincent told him to fuck off. No qualms about the music, just change the name which doesn't make that much sense anyway. God he was an idiot.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard in Black 666 View Post
There are two problems: 1) Remembering what the hell the bands played 20-odd years ago (it's not like I went to these shows with a pencil and paper writing down set lists), and 2) the dates of the shows. So, if no one minds an entry such as "Coroner and Mekong Delta -- Vienna, Austria, October or November 1991" and then about 2/3 of the set list out of order, I can give you that.
10/28 Priest
11/22 Slayer

Tags
dark angel