Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014
Alter Bridge -- Atlanta, GA -- April 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
Sounds fucking incredible
It was. As a few others have said in this and other related threads, this show is one of the best I've ever seen. Lincoln made the same comment in the Neurosis tour thread, but with all due respect to him, he has only been going to shows for a few years. I have been going to shows since the 1980's - not that it's a competition, but I'm just saying. That's a lot of shows to stack up against, so saying it was one of the best is even more meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
Scott Kelly hates microphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
Bruce Lamont is a madman
Indeed. He was pretty laid back when you and I saw him on tour with Man's Gin, but when I saw him last year with Yakuza he was a beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenReaper View Post
I too was in the front middle a couple rows from the rail. Right on the edge of the "pit" which was only just 3-4 wasted/tripping dudes stumbling around
That reminds me...there was actually a pretty significant mosh pit during one of the last songs in the set. I want to say it was during "Given to the Rising", but it might have been "Through Silver in Blood". Jon or Dan, do you remember? It was pretty surprising, as the crowd was very still the rest of the night. I mean, they were very into the show, they just didn't mosh because that's not something you generally do at a post-metal show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Once I was driving and my local radio station's metal show was doing a "post-metal" show and they played this really long and boring track that I really didn't like, and they said it was Neurosis. But that was a really long time ago and I'd like to give them another shot, but I dunno where to start. Dad, can you gimme a song to start with?
I will get back to you on that. I've always liked tracks like "Burn" and "Bridges" because they're so primal, but I'm sure there are some others you would like. Two other suggestions I would make are to "obtain" a copy of the new album, because it's tits. Also, making a playlist out of the above setlist wouldn't be a bad idea. It's a pretty decent cross-section of their song catalog.

The thing to remember is that Neurosis is not for the microwave, instant gratification crowd. It requires immersing yourself in the music to truly appreciate it. Give it time. Turn off the lights. Headphones are highly recommended. Stuff like that.

Thanks everybody for your comments. For those who are planning to see this tour, I'm stoked for you - except for Jon...lucky bastard. Seeing this twice is more awesome than anyone deserves, even if you are a nice guy.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I came here for 3rd Strike setlists, where are the 3rd Strike setlists

I toured with A Storm of Light once - the frontman is the ex-visuals guy from Neurosis and their bass player is/was (not sure anymore) Neurosis' main stage tech. He had so many hilarious stories about the guys freaking out onstage about various things, like fans (not people, the things that blow air) and monitors and whatnot, as well as their strong distaste for festival audiences that wave flags - they'd send the tech out into a sea of tens of thousands of people to stop the one guy from waving a distracting flag, which would often take a big chunk of the set, given how packed those crowds are
Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Gotta say it again, this was the best show I've ever been to...just, wow. And I'm surprised by the comments about Scott Kelly -- he seems like such an adorable teddy bear like if Kerry king took shrooms and immediately realized he's a prick
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

I don't even like neurosis either, probably because of the post-metal elements, but I found that those elements - the soft-loud dynamics in particular - really worked to their favor in that setting. The fact I find them so boring on record is just a testament to their live power
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Gotta say it again, this was the best show I've ever been to...just, wow. And I'm surprised by the comments about Scott Kelly -- he seems like such an adorable teddy bear like if Kerry king took shrooms and immediately realized he's a prick
Well, you kinda had to have been there. A few of the comments are somewhat in jest. For example, the part about him hating the mic is a joke about the forehead incident I described in the review. It just means dude is intense as fuck. Also, the part about him hating equipment may also be a joke. He kicked a few smaller pieces of equipment off the stage a time or two, which the crew had to scramble quickly to correct, but it may not have been intentional. His mic stand actually fell off stage towards the audience at one point because of his thrashing around, but the crowd members caught it and helped the crew members get it back in position quickly.

These guys are definitely intense as fuck, though - which is exactly why the show is so awesome. If Scott Kelly is a teddy bear, he's the most intense one I've ever seen. While I might be tempted to give him a great big bear hug because of his pot belly and bushy beard, I'd be afraid he would straight up maul my ass.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
One who onions things

Scott Kelly is a teddy bear though haha. I talked to him after his solo acoustic set at Slaughter by the Water and he couldn't have been more chill and laidback.
Neurosis/Bl'ast!/YOB (???) 12/29
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Huh. That's cool. He must simply be in a zone when he gets on stage. I guess I can relate - I'm like that in the weight room. People who talk to me in the steam room at the health club have told me that they held off speaking to me for years in some cases because they were afraid I'd rip their heads off.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM

Yeah, I just checked out an interview with Scott at some festival in Europe, I think it was, and he seemed pretty laid back. I could definitely tell there is an edge to his personality, too, though. I think that's why he's in Neurosis - as an outlet for the negative emotions we all have from time to time. I also think the band name is not a coincidence.

Anyhow, just thought I would bump the thread because I updated the OP with links to two songs. I have two more from Neurosis, and one from Bloodiest, that I have yet to upload, but the process is painfully slow because of the way I have to do it, so bear with me. I'll also try to get some pics up soon.

Enjoy.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Yeah, I just checked out an interview with Scott at some festival in Europe, I think it was, and he seemed pretty laid back.
When he played his acoustic tour last February at Now That's Class with Eugene from Oxbow, I had a chance to talk with him for a bit. He in fact is a really chill, easy to talk with guy. That show just happened to probably be my favorite of the year as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Re-bump. Videos posted for "We All Rage in Gold" and "Through Silver in Blood".

Note at 4:14 of "Gold" is when Scott performed the mic headbutt that left his forehead bleeding for the rest of the show. You can hear me commenting about it to Jon (moobys37) at the beginning of "Pigs".

Tags
bloodiest, neurosis, the atlas moth