Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
N00B

Summer Slaughter Tour -- Detroit, MI -- August 11th, 2013

This was my 1st ever time attending the Summer Slaughter Tour. I've just never been able to make it in the past, so I was looking forward to it.

Doors were supposed to open at 2pm, and they did not open until 3:30. Due to the long line I missed all but 1 song from Thy Art Is Murder. I liked what I heard, so I'll need to check them out again. They must've started right before doors opened or only played for 10 min.

Rings of Saturn were excellent! I'd never heard of them before, but they were awesome!

Next was Aeon. Meh.

Revocation may have been the best band of the day. Oh my God! I loved em.

I had seen The Ocean once a few years ago when they opened for Between The Buried & Me. I did not remember much about them. They were really cool, though.

Cattle Decapitation played next... not a fan at all.

Norma Jean leveled the place. They said that their new album WRONGDOERS will make you want to, "Rip the pouch off of a kangaroo." Hahaha. They're an incredible band, both musically and as a live band. I love em, and I can't wait to see em again.

Norma Jean setlist
Disconnecktie (The Faithful Vampire)
The Anthem Of The Angry Brides
Dilemmachine (Coalition; Hoax)
The End of All Things Will Be Televised
Creating Something Out Of Nothing, Only To Destroy It (snippet)
If You Got It At Five, You Got It At Fifty
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste

Periphery was next. This was my 4th or 5th time seeing them. I always thought they were just OK before, but they killed it at this show. I'll need to check em out some more. Good stuff.

Animals As Leaders came up next. I'll go see them no mater who they tour with. They are absolutely amazing! I've never met anyone who has seen them or heard them & does not like them. Unfortunately they had some technical difficulties halfway through their set and had to stop for a few minutes, but that's OK. The crowd pretty much just watched in awe the whole set without moving. That's fine, though, because they needed to save their energy for what was about to happen next.

Animals As Leaders setlist
Tempting Time
Wave of Babies
Earth Departure
Do Not Go Gently
Cylindrical Sea
Weightless
CAFO

Dillinger Escape Plan was a late edition to this show. Originally they were not supposed to play b/c they played at OrionFest back in June. Thankfully a radius clause didn't force them off of this show. They were freakin' crazy as always. If I tried to describe their live show at all, I wouldn't do it justice. You really need to see them for yourself. Highlights were "43% Burnt" and "One Of Us Is The Killer."

Dillinger Escape Plan setlist
Prancer
Farewell, Mona Lisa
Milk Lizard
43% Burnt
Panasonic Youth
Room Full of Eyes
Hero of the Soviet Union
Nothing's Funny
One Of Us Is The Killer
Crossburner
Good Neighbor
When I Lost My Bet
Sunshine The Werewolf

I was really surprised that this show was not packed (maybe 700 people in a place that holds 1,000). I'm really glad I went. I was only really there to see Norma Jean, Dillinger, and Animals As Leaders, but a lot of the other bands were solid. Well worth the price of admission.
9/20 ATB
9/25 np
10/13 Counterparts
10/16 PJ
11/3 Anberlin
11/5 BOO/Erra
Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindeets View Post
Rings of Saturn were excellent! I'd never heard of them before, but they were awesome!

Next was Aeon. Meh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcqGGMPc3k
Old 08-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Metalhead.

I was surprised NJ got such a bad reaction in NYC - maybe it was just me but I kept hearing heckles like "go back to church", etc. between songs and when they finished. I thought they were great, and I love the intro they play now to start their sets.

I thought Revocation were the best band of the day. DEP and AAL were also fantastic.

TAIM got 20 mins in NYC, which was like 5 songs.
3/10 Windhand
12/10 Nils Frahm
Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Crucial Mosh Achieved

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindeets View Post
The crowd pretty much just watched in awe the whole set without moving. That's fine, though, because they needed to save their energy for what was about to happen next.
Uh, did you not see the huge-ass pit that formed during CAFO? I'm pretty sure a fight almost broke out between these two dudes but luckily it never happened. But yeah for the most part people were just chilling and taking in the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchzer
I was surprised NJ got such a bad reaction in NYC - maybe it was just me but I kept hearing heckles like "go back to church", etc. between songs and when they finished. I thought they were great, and I love the intro they play now to start their sets.
Wow, really? Honestly, I was expecting a very lukewarm response for NJ as well but a lot of people seemed really into them, and of course Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste made people go crazy. I think there might have been a heckler or two but I was up front so I couldn't tell.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:22 AM
Your friends from Langley are back again...

Sounds like a great show. I missed it in Philly due to circumstances beyond my control, but ALWAYS love to see DEP when they come around. Even though I'm not a huge metalcore guy Norma Jean does completely own. It looks like you got a longer set than some of the other cities from them. That is awesome. Disconnecktie is a stellar opener.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 AM
N00B

Aeon (and maybe Revocation) are the only reasons I would even consider going to this. By far the worst Summer Slaughter, and its been on a sharp decline the last several years.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiden View Post
Aeon (and maybe Revocation) are the only reasons I would even consider going to this. By far the worst Summer Slaughter, and its been on a sharp decline the last several years.
TDEP!
Tough Mudder-10/26

Tags
animals as leaders, norma jean, periphery, the dillinger escape plan