Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VII 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I'm really looking forward to figuring out what Squalls problem is. Riona and Quistis were both throwing themselves at him in the first three hours and he just blew them both off. What an idiot.

I forgot what his deal was, don't remember much of the story as a whole, just the smaller parts.... like the Laguna (think thats his name) flashbacks or dream sequences, which ever they were and getting stuck in one because I had no clue where to go

Also, trivia: back when FF8 came out I was Squall for Halloween. Took a toy sword of mine, ripped off the blade and duct taped it to a water gun to make a Gun Sword... THOSE WERE SO COOL!!!!!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post

I forgot what his deal was, don't remember much of the story as a whole, just the smaller parts.... like the Laguna (think thats his name) flashbacks or dream sequences, which ever they were and getting stuck in one because I had no clue where to go

Also, trivia: back when FF8 came out I was Squall for Halloween. Took a toy sword of mine, ripped off the blade and duct taped it to a water gun to make a Gun Sword... THOSE WERE SO COOL!!!!!
I'm the same way. I remember bits and pieces. But even what little I saw last night seemed brand new. I'm looking forward to playing a nice old school game.
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 PM

Final Fantasy X
Japanese Release Date: July 19th, 2001
North American Release Date: December 17th, 2001
Original Platform: Sony Playstation 2
Re-released on: Sony Playstation 3, Playstation Vita

The biggest thing this game has to offer that was new is very big. Voice-overs. A blessing and a curse. On the good side it brought the series into the next era of gaming after a lot of other series’ had been doing it for years. So Final Fantasy was actually pretty late to the game. On the bad side; I never noticed how bad some of Final Fantasy’s dialogue was and how annoying some characters could be until I heard them talking. When I play older games now I’ll read into the dialogue more and I realize it’s just as bad as it is in this game but since I was always reading it I never really noticed that much. But hearing characters speak it I just couldn’t not notice how bad it can be. Let’s take Rikku as an example. Annoying as fuck. I want to shoot her. Yuffie (from Final Fantasy VII) has lines that are just as annoying and her character is in the same mold. But since I never heard her speak I never cared. But if she was given a voice-over I think I’d hate her just as much. Maybe Squall or Zidane were just as annoying as Tidus? But again, I only had to read their words. I never had to watch them laugh. I'm sure that scene served a purpose that I just don't understand. After hours and hours of one annoying character and another wooden character when that shit hits you it's just like...what the fuck, I liked reading better. But then there was Auron. So badass. He was like me playing this game. He was just there because he had to be.

The actual game is pretty good. It’s pretty linear but nowhere near as bad as a game that comes later in the series. The combat was good and the sphere grid leveling system was actually pretty cool. And it was nice that you could swap out characters during battles to ensure that they all got experience points from battles. Even though it really just made battles unnecessarily long. The music was great (the Hymns of the Faith, so awesome) and it looked beautiful. But the voice acting really just killed this game. I think it just comes down to the fact that they always hire shit voice actors for the English versions. And yet it’s somehow one of the most loved Final Fantasies.

Favorite Moment: the aftermath of the battle with Sin at Mihen is pretty cool
Best Song: Servants of the Mountain
Coolest Character: Auron
Lamest Character: Rikku
Average Completion Time: 30-40 hours
Gameplay Demo: this is near the middle of the game, I don't know why the audio is sped up and fucked up
Rating: 3 out of 5

Final Boss: Braska's Final Aeon

[EDIT: October 12th, 2014]
I decided to give this one another go because I remember it being on the bottom of the pile in the Final Fantasy nexus. But so much has come since then that I thought it deserved another shot.

The story is actually not a bad one at all. It takes its time to get good but once it gets there it’s really satisfying. You just have to put up with a lot of cringe-worthy moments getting there. And there is the issue of voice acting, which I touched on in my initial post. Nothing really has changed there. They blow! Spira is a pretty sweet world to spend time in. It has a very aquatic, island feeling to it. I really liked it and it may be one of the best worlds in the Final Fantasy nexus.

There are a decent amount of characters compared to later Final Fantasies and they’re okay. Auron is still a complete badass who should be in every Final Fantasy and Rikku is still annoying as fuck. But I’d forgotten how bad the two leads (Tidus and Yuna) were. Tidus is just a fucking moron. That’s the nicest way I can say it. At first he’s just a pricky teen who sort-of mocks everyone in a bad way. It takes about twenty-five hours until he finally becomes bearable. Thankfully, the moment he does become bearable is really well done and all is pretty much forgiven at that point. It just took a long fucking time. And Yuna is just a moron. It doesn’t help that her voice actor should be in silent films. “Yup”, “Okay”, “Yes”, dear god shut up. Seymour was actually a better character than I remembered despite his terrible render. I almost felt bad voting him as the worst Final Fantasy bad guy when I originally finished this thread but whatever.

I would say that graphics are light-years ahead of the Playstation games and I guess they are in comparison. But in comparison to even late-gen PS2 games they look pretty shitty. The facial renders are very wooden, the characters arms always seem glued to their sides (especially background characters) and Lulu’s boobs look weird (magnificent, but weird). That’s the actual in-game renders. The FMVs are pretty breathtaking but they’re very few and far between.

The game moves in a very similar manner as Final Fantasy XIII, i.e. “the tube”. You pretty much move from A to B, watch a cut scene and keep going. But unlike XIII you have the option of going back to A if you feel the need. And from time-to-time you can even branch off and go to point C. The combat is both good and bad. I complained a lot in this thread about characters in your immediate party not gaining any experience after fighting battles. Well you can have every character gain the same amount of experience this time around by swapping them in and out of battle at your will. That’s a nice touch, especially for those times when you really only need a White Mage (Yuna) to cast a heal spell and get the hell out of there or figure out that an enemy is weak against Fire and you need your Black Mage (Lulu). But it also makes battles unnecessarily long. That may be just my fault but I wanted all my characters to gain experience at the same rate so I was swapping everyone in and out during every battle. I guess you could go with a core group and just blaze through the game if you wanted to.

I can’t say I hate this game anymore after not playing it for ten years. I may have liked it even more. Spira was a beautiful place, the music was awesome (some of the series best), Lulu’s tits were fantastic, Rikku’s only in two thirds of the game, Sin is fucking awesome. Yeah, there is a lot to like in this game. But sandwiched between IX and XII…forget about it.

Favorite Moment: arriving at Zanarkand is heart stopping
Best Song: Servants of the Mountain
Coolest Character: Auron
Average Completion Time: 30-40 hours
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 10-12-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:42 AM
One who onions things

FFX was my first Final Fantasy game. I remember it was super cheap a few years after it came out, I'm pretty sure I bought my copy for like 8 bucks used at Gamestop or something. I was only maybe 10 or 11 or something when I played it, but I definitely remember the laughing scene being one of the most terrible things I had seen in my young life.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 04-15-2014, 12:02 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

FFX was a game I REALLY wanted to enjoy and get into, but I was so bad at it and couldn't beat one of the Sin battles. The characters were pretty cool, though, especially Auron, such a badass. I never got used to the sphere grid AT ALL. I am sure I would do better now, but back then it just seemed like too much work, espcially after being so used to the FF7 and 8 leveling systems. Def was missing out on the open worldness the previous titles had, but I guess for what it was, being a bit of a new beginning to the series, it was great

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 PM

Final Fantasy XI: Online
Japanese Release Date: May 16th, 2002
North American Release Date: October 28th, 2003
Original Platform: Sony Playstation 2, PC
Re-released on: Xbox 360

One of the very few “numbered” games in the series I’ve never played. I’ve heard it’s very similar to Final Fantasy XII. But it’s a MMORPG and I don’t play those. I cant justify paying for a game and then paying a monthly fee to play the game. And if I ever did, it probably would be one of the Star Wars ones. I do have some of the soundtrack on my iTunes but I have no connection to any of those songs. But the version of the Prelude from this game is pretty terrible because it has some weird key changes.

Gameplay Demo: fighting a hornet

Original Final Boss: Shadow Lord
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post

Thanks for posting that...it put it all in perspective.

I'm playing FFVIII after feeling my review was too incomplete. I have no desire to play X at this moment.
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Japanese Release Date: February 14th, 2003
North American Release Date: September 8th, 2003
Original Platform: Game Boy Advance

I guess this the first “sequel” in the Final Fantasy universe. Although it's not so much a direct sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics as another game set in the same universe. But it didn't get much notice because it was on a system that wasn’t as prolific and it was for a game that wasn’t as popular. I’ve never actually played this game.

Gameplay Demo: a random battle...in German!

Final Boss: Li-Grim (that blue thing at the top of the screen)
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 PM

Final Fantasy X-2
Japanese Release Date: March 13th, 2003
North American Release Date: November 18th, 2003
Original Platform: Sony Playstation 2
Rereleased on: Sony Playstation 3, Playstation Vita

Why do the lesser Final Fantasies get sequels? Final Fantasy X wasn't a bad game by any means. But Final Fantasy X-2 was an abomination. Any of the characters from X that were enjoyable or cool were reduced to cameo appearances or just weren't in it. Tidus really wasn't in it, so that was a plus. In the end it starred Yuna, who wasn't that bad. And...Rikku..., one of the worst characters in Final Fantasy history. There was a third character added named Paine (I think) who was entirely forgettable. So the big "draw" was that it was an all female cast. Whoo-hoo. Then there was the overall design of the game, which was basically like playing a J-pop music video. After the first few minutes of this game I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it. And I didn't.

The actual game was okay. It featured different dresses for your characters to wear which was a different way of presenting a job system like in FFIII and Final Fantasy Tactics. Aside from that it played just like Final Fantasy X. There was a quite a bit of exploring needed in this game in order to get the full experience. But it was all through talking to NPCs so it was easy to miss some of it. I actually had to use a walkthrough because I ended up beating the storyline of the game in something ridiculous like fifteen hours. So yeah, I actually had to play through this game twice.

More and more with Final Fantasies I have a problem where I get older and have less of a connection with the characters, who are always late-teenagers. It was never more apparent than with this game. Not only were they all tweens, they were all girls. So I had zero in common with any of them. Rikku is a character I loathed. A black hole. Her picture on the cover pretty much sums it all up (she's the blond at the top who you want to punch). So it really sucked to have to play through not one but TWO games with her while characters like Locke, Beatrix, fuck even Squall are stuck in a vortex of one game. It was a sequel to a game I neither loved or hated, so I just didn't give a fuck. It was nice to revisit areas from the first game and catch up with characters briefly but this was a terrible game that's really not worth playing. I just wanted to shoot myself the whole time I was playing it.

Avoid this game like the plague, unless you like not enjoying stuff.

Favorite Moment: going back to Zanarkand was nice
Coolest Character: LeBlanc had some great tits
Average Completion Time: 35 hours
Gameplay Demo: here's the first three hours of the game to torture youreself with
Rating: 0.5 out of 5

Final Boss: Shuyin
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-17-2014 at 08:59 AM.