Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Neurosis -- Tucson, AZ -- October 18th, 2014
The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Old news, but Earache (I think thats the label) is reissuing the first Woods of Ypres album (EP, whatever) this year. Not sure if the preorder is still going on, but you can get a shirt bundle with it. Can't wait! Been wanting that for years.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
Is Riff Raff supposed to be a joke? He has some actual talent but I'm not sure if it's a tongue in cheek deal or what haha.
No one is Whether it's tongue-in-cheek or not, it's entertaining as hell.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM
N00B

New Bastard Feast and Mammoth Grinder releases are fuckin' gnarly.
5/17 - Pig Destroyer/Weekend Nachos?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Old news, but Earache (I think thats the label) is reissuing the first Woods of Ypres album (EP, whatever) this year. Not sure if the preorder is still going on, but you can get a shirt bundle with it. Can't wait! Been wanting that for years.
Against the Seasons? Awesome album.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-22-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I thought the new Origin was good and bad. Some of the shorter, faster songs are pretty good. The second to last song Malthusian Collapse was really good. And the Indiscriminate was a good ending. But the instrumentals were useless (Continuum does have some wicked guitar lines). What really killed me was the S.O.D. cover. Covers rarely work for me and an extreme death metal band covering a crossover song didn't work at all. A bad cover like that kills my entire impression of an album. But what killed me even more was Redistribution of Filth. The cover of a crossover song was bad enough, but an attempt at an original was even worse. That was not what I wanted to hear from Origin. I want to get beaten over and over and over.

So cut those five songs and I think the album would've been much better.

Jason Keysers vocals are good but I think he's a better fit with a more mid-paced, less technical band.

So worse than Entity but better than Antithesis.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Out of last 3 Ironbound blows them away. Pretty easy call. Not sure how to rank Electric Age or WDA. To me Electric Age has a few songs that are catchier and more memorable than on WDA. But there's a few on Electric Age that are duds IMO. Where as there might not be a track or tracks on WDA that are stand outs necessarily but overall top to bottom this feels like the songs are better than Electric Age. Really to me it's a tough one to decide. I'd say WDA barely above Electric Age for me.
Ironbound is clearly the best of the last 3 start to finish. I prefer WDA because of the thrash and lack of 3rd grade lytics like Electric Rattlesnake. Some people love ER but to me the lyrics are so f'n dumb that I can't stand it. Too many medium tempo songs on EA for me. Like I said the 1st 6 songs on WDA are either fast as hell or solid chuggers with cool lyrics like Bitter Pill. WDA is in my Top 10 right now and Electric Age never got near my Top 10 at any point. To each his own but other than Come and Get It I wasn't dying to hear anything off that cd live. This cd I hope they open the show with the 1st 6 songs. That's saying something...

And if you haven't heard Shrapnel yet, do so STAT! Top 10 also...
Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
I can't say enough good things about the new Monarch! record. Probably the best metal record of the year so far.
Dude knows what's up! This is definitely the best doom album I've heard this year so far. Of course this is before I hear Pallbearer, YOB, and Electric Wizard in the coming month. Sabbracadaver shows Monarch! reaching the level of songwriting they've hinted at for so long. Mortes is one the most beautiful musical pieces my ears have heard.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOfDoom View Post
I'm kind of with Raven on the new Overkill, been a few listens and no songs have really stuck in my head, which is saying something. Electric Age was stuck in my head for weeks. I mean I don't dislike it or find it that boring, but comparing it to the last two, it just doesn't stand up for me. I need to give it a few more listens, but right now I see it in the 8-10 range at the end of the year, while Electric Age and Ironbound where both #1.

Edit: Ok Ill admit ARMORY ARMORY is pretty catchy, but still nowhere as much as I the last two.
More listens should reveal that the second half of the disc kicks the shit out of the first half. I find the first half with the exception of Bitter Pill really boring. 'Amorist' is a carbon copy of some other old songs. Same riff, same everything.

Bitter Pill onwards they go a bit proggy. More riffs, more changes, just generally better songs. I think this is what they meant when they said it would be different and more varied. Not what people were expecting, but it is certainly different. What they should have done was order the tracks better so all the by the numbers ones weren't all stuck together at the beginning (plus King of The Rat Bastards later on, which is another re-recording).

But yes, then just go listen to Shrapnel's album because it's twice as good.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest

Last edited by ravenheart; 07-23-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Lack of third grade lyrics?

Armorist is Kindergarden level lyrically.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

Yea after I posted that, I gave the album 2 more listens, and I felt that I was little harsh. I think my favorite is Freedom Rings, as you said Raven, alot of changes going on. Also, weird hearing how many people dislike EA, I almost prefer it to Ironbound.