Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Maryland Deathfest 2016 Day 4 -- Baltimore, MD -- May 29th, 2016
BLED Fest -- Howell, MI -- May 28th, 2016
44 Fest -- Toronto, Ontario -- May 28th, 2016
Maryland Deathfest 2016 Day 3 -- Baltimore, MD -- May 28th, 2016
Zakk Wylde -- Luxembourg City, Luxembourg -- May 28th, 2016

Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Megadeth - So Far, So Good... So What! - January 19, 1988

Following up a genre-defining masterpiece like Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? is no small task. Given the fact that the band would go through a 50% member turnover ups the ante even more. Then, add the fact that the band's chief (only?) songwriter was languishing in a world of drug abuse and things are starting to look kind of bleak.

Megadeth's third full length starts off with whichever word you'd like to use that does not mean bleak. "Into the Lungs of Hell" is a fantastic instrumental opener -- probably one of the best of its kind ever made. It leads into the riff-gasm that is "Set the World Afire", which is among the best Mr. Mustaine has ever penned. Talk about a 1-2 punch. It's starting to look like Dave and Dave Jr. are going "Chris who?" and "Gar? What the fuck is a Gar?" Then shit starts to get weird.

The obligatory WTF cover song serves as track number three here, and while "Anarchy in the UK" is the best of the awful early Megadeth album ruining cover songs, it's placed in the worst spot. It's way too high in the album, and it really, REALLY fucks up the flow here. "Mary Jane" would sound kind of cool -- almost needed after the skullfucking that the first two tracks provide, but instead it just sounds like a weird, hazy mid-paced return to the land of Daves. After that, we get "502", which is a decent thrasher but is marred by ridiculously stupid lyrics. Then, there's the Burton-inspired "In My Darkest Hour", which is heartfelt but mostly just OK even though there are some totally twisted riffs in there. The last two tracks get the album back on track as they mostly just thrash angrily and efficiently but it feels as if it might be a little too late.

Even with all the idiotic shit Mustaine would pull in the mid-90's and beyond, this album may go down as the biggest failure the band ever produced. To follow an album as aggressive, raw and brilliant as Peace Sells with such a muddled and obviously drug-addled display is unfortunate. The album still treads water above the also-rans of the day mostly because Mustaine's (and to a lesser extent, Ellefson's) pedigree is so elite. The first two tracks at least let you know that there is hope yet, and because of the benefit of hindsight, we know that that hope was not ill-placed.

Standouts: Set the World Afire, Into the Lungs of Hell, Liar

Score: 7.5/10

Last edited by El Gordo; 01-18-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Flying Wallet Inspector

I seem to be the only person who likes the cover of Anarchy In The UK. I guess I can understand why you think its derailing. Especially since that's exactly how I feel about Fabulous Disaster after the cover of Low Rider.

I used to think this was the second best 'Deth album after RIP, but the greatness of Peace Sells just can't be denied.

I have to draw the line on "biggest failure" though. No way did this fail more than Risk.

Last edited by JRA; 01-19-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:26 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I seem to be the only person who likes the cover of Anarchy In The UK. I guess I can understand why you think its derailing. Especially since that's exactly how I feel about Fabulous Disaster after the cover of Low Rider.

I used to think this was the second best 'Deth album after RIP, but the greatness of Peace Sells just can't be denied.

I have to draw the line on "biggest failure" though. No way did this fail more than Risk.
Haha fair enough. Probably a little hyperbole there, but I was in the moment. Also, if you've been paying attention, I feel like that about almost any cover that's not at the very end of an album.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Old Guy

Great review of So Far So Good So What. Extremely disappointing album although I would place Hook In Mouth over Liar for highlights, I always did like that song. If you pretend Youthanasia was Megadeth's last release as I do, I would say So Far So Good So What is their biggest failure. Thank God he finally ditched the cover songs for Rust in Peace.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Semper Fidelis

I have a soft spot for this album - perhaps because it was the first Megadeth tour I attended. And I also love 'Hook in Mouth.' I suppose the lyrics seem a bit dated these days, but when taken in context at the time it was written it packs a bit more punch. We metalheads, really REALLY hated Tipper Gore and the whole PMRC movement. She and her crew were a bunch of assholes and their attempts to regulate (mostly) metal music seemed to be a real threat at the time. Fuck her and her husband. Mustaine made better albums after this one, but he also made a whole bunch of worse ones as well.
04/09 - Pat Travers
04/11 - Iron Maiden
Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Flying Wallet Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalEmperor View Post
I have a soft spot for this album - perhaps because it was the first Megadeth tour I attended. And I also love 'Hook in Mouth.' I suppose the lyrics seem a bit dated these days, but when taken in context at the time it was written it packs a bit more punch. We metalheads, really REALLY hated Tipper Gore and the whole PMRC movement. She and her crew were a bunch of assholes and their attempts to regulate (mostly) metal music seemed to be a real threat at the time. Fuck her and her husband. Mustaine made better albums after this one, but he also made a whole bunch of worse ones as well.
It's a little dated because of the organization in question, but the idea of a group of people trying to censor everything to suit their purposes will always be a threat. (I suppose he could change it too "As long as there's a Damn F C C!")
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Nasty Savage - Abstract Reality - January 29, 1988

The pride of Brandon, Florida return almost exactly a year after the excellent Indulgence with a four-song EP, and essentially the same sound -- riffy, aggressive thrash with some slightly progressive tendencies. Vocalist Nasty Ronny is in particularly fine form here, snarling and wailing his way through all 20 minutes with a delivery that is slightly more controlled than it was just one year prior.

The greatest part about Nasty Savage is that they aren't really aping anyone. Their sound is their own and it kind of came out of nowhere, given that their first album was as campy and goofy as it gets. Abstract Reality showcases four pretty cool songs, even if the meandering nature of the middle songs tend to lose the interest of the listener a little -- they are enjoyable none the less.

Standouts: You Snooze You Lose, Abstract Reality

Score: 7/10

Recipients of Death - Recipients of Death - February, 1988

Proud owners of one of the worst band names I've ever heard, Recipients of Death's debut seven-song EP is over pretty quick and without much variety or originality. RoD were clearly influenced by Slayer and little else, evidentially. The EP is pretty fun though, for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing, and really, among the growing ranks of pretenders, this one is probably towards the top of the heap.

Standouts: Seizure, The Aftermath

Score: 5/10
Old 03-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Nasty Savage - Abstract Reality - January 29, 1988

The pride of Brandon, Florida return almost exactly a year after the excellent Indulgence with a four-song EP, and essentially the same sound -- riffy, aggressive thrash with some slightly progressive tendencies. Vocalist Nasty Ronny is in particularly fine form here, snarling and wailing his way through all 20 minutes with a delivery that is slightly more controlled than it was just one year prior.

The greatest part about Nasty Savage is that they aren't really aping anyone. Their sound is their own and it kind of came out of nowhere, given that their first album was as campy and goofy as it gets. Abstract Reality showcases four pretty cool songs, even if the meandering nature of the middle songs tend to lose the interest of the listener a little -- they are enjoyable none the less.

Standouts: You Snooze You Lose, Abstract Reality

Score: 7/10
I just re-listened to this when I saw you reviewed it, and I don't quite get the appeal of Nasty Savage. I've got this one + the first two albums, and they don't stand out to me as even a mid-tier thrash band. I don't find that they do anything particularly unique (especially at this point in their career; they were a little more straight forward heavy metal at the start), nor do I find the songs to be that memorable. This is actually the reason I've held off on buying Penetration Point even though it's really cheap on Amazon right now.

Quote:
Recipients of Death - Recipients of Death - February, 1988

Proud owners of one of the worst band names I've ever heard, Recipients of Death's debut seven-song EP is over pretty quick and without much variety or originality. RoD were clearly influenced by Slayer and little else, evidentially. The EP is pretty fun though, for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing, and really, among the growing ranks of pretenders, this one is probably towards the top of the heap.

Standouts: Seizure, The Aftermath

Score: 5/10
Never heard of these guys before. Will definitely keep an eye of for their EP.

Also, I've been on a crazy thrash binge for the past few weeks, so I hope you keep this up
6/10 - Annihilator, Razor, Skull Fist
Old 03-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I just re-listened to this when I saw you reviewed it, and I don't quite get the appeal of Nasty Savage. I've got this one + the first two albums, and they don't stand out to me as even a mid-tier thrash band. I don't find that they do anything particularly unique (especially at this point in their career; they were a little more straight forward heavy metal at the start), nor do I find the songs to be that memorable. This is actually the reason I've held off on buying Penetration Point even though it's really cheap on Amazon right now.
If you don't hear it, I don't think I can explain it. To me, they're a very solid band -- nice guitar work, catchy songs. Can't please everyone, but I would expect most thrash fans to enjoy their work after the first album.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Flying Wallet Inspector

I just noticed this thread doesn't have Watchtower's "Energetic Disassembly."