Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Troo Methulfan

2026?

What about them apocalypse?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:47 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I'm sure everyone else will lose interest before I do.
Nope! Keep at it

If I don't comment on an album, it's only because I either don't have it, or haven't heard anything about it.

Also, I could be wrong but I think Blood Money's CDs have a shot at getting reissued. They're quite active on Facebook, and certain labels that focus on thrash reissues are well aware of that fact.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:36 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Darkness - Death Squad - 1987

In the thrash landscape of 1987, albums like Darkness' Death Squad had become quite commonplace -- good enough to have developed pockets of loyal, rabid supporters but not unique enough to have any real lasting, mass appeal. Don't get me wrong, songs like "Critical Threshold" and "Iron Force" are excellent exercises in aggressive thrash metal, but that's exactly it -- these types of albums feel like an exercise. I give marks to this album for competency, not originality. The genre of thrash is stagnating, kids, and it's gonna get a whole lot worse than this!

Standouts: Iron Force, Critical Threshold, Faded Pictures

Score: 6.5/10
Old 10-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The genre of thrash is [...] gonna get a whole lot worse than this!
This is definitely true, but only because this album is one of the highlights of the genre. Probably a top 30 or 40 thrash album for me. Really great songwriting on this record. "Iron Force" is my favourite song on the album, but it's strong from front to back.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:00 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
This is definitely true, but only because this album is one of the highlights of the genre. Probably a top 30 or 40 thrash album for me. Really great songwriting on this record. "Iron Force" is my favourite song on the album, but it's strong from front to back.
Yeah, I thought of you when I was listening to Death Squad because I know it was pretty high up on that list you posted a while back. I also found myself thinking "I could just listen to Destruction instead" however. I don't think it's a bad album by any means but I don't think it's a great album either.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I thought of you when I was listening to Death Squad because I know it was pretty high up on that list you posted a while back. I also found myself thinking "I could just listen to Destruction instead" however. I don't think it's a bad album by any means but I don't think it's a great album either.
Destruction is definitely a better band, but they're quite different for me. Early Destruction was a band that was so bad that they were good. It was fast, loud, and noisy, and nobody has ever really matched the energy of Sentence of Death. They were great songwriters as well.

Darkness had bad production, but was a pretty tight band otherwise. They didn't go the technical route like Destruction later would, but they weren't quite as simple as early Destruction. The only thing both bands really have in common (other than being German thrash) is that they write really good, catchy songs.

I really didn't enjoy the follow-up to Death squad though.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Destruction is definitely a better band, but they're quite different for me. Early Destruction was a band that was so bad that they were good. It was fast, loud, and noisy, and nobody has ever really matched the energy of Sentence of Death. They were great songwriters as well.

Darkness had bad production, but was a pretty tight band otherwise. They didn't go the technical route like Destruction later would, but they weren't quite as simple as early Destruction. The only thing both bands really have in common (other than being German thrash) is that they write really good, catchy songs.

I really didn't enjoy the follow-up to Death squad though.
Darkness do write some catchy songs and they do it at a pretty high speed with a real aggressive attack, which I guess is where I draw the comparison to Destruction. Destruction were definitely much sloppier on their first few releases than Darkness are here, but I guess that's part of the appeal!
Old 10-04-2014, 11:19 AM

DBC - Dead Brain Cells - 1987

As you may have been able to glean from my review of Darkness' Death Squad, at this point in the game, I place a lot of importance on originality. While DBC are not splitting the atom here, they certainly have a sound that is all their own. Comparisons to Voivod are inevitable based on where they come from as well as some of the 'weirdness' present in their sound, which is subdued here but would become more prevalent on their second record. The music on Dead Brain Cells consists of short, tight blasts of fury. This is not Hirax though -- these songs are fully developed with some above average musicianship, and despite the length of the songs, they get almost proggy at times. The coolest songs have to be "Public Suicide" and "Monument", the two 'epics', clocking in at 3:59 and 3:35, respectively, although lots of the shorter ones work well too, with "Deadlock" and "Power and Corruption" being of particular note.

Standouts: Public Suicide, Monument, Power and Corruption

Score: 8/10
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM

Haven't heard that album myself, but just a headsup for the collectors: both that album and the band's other one are available on their website. Can't recall how much they are, but at least they're available.