Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014

Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

Another album that I think far exceeds the couple that came before it, High On Fire's latest is such a good combination of stoner and good ole fashioned heavy metal that it has such a huge appeal. Matt Pike is still the best riff-constructor since Tony Iommi, and he can shred as well! I'm terrified (in a good way) to see how HoF can top this album.

Standout tracks: Bloody Knuckles, Fertile Green, Spiritual Rites

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

Now this is a comeback album. It's old-school grind brought up to contemporary levels. Book Burner is just as good as anything that Pig Destroyer's done in their impressive career, and I think I'd be okay if you wanted to call it their best since Prowler In The Yard! It's that good. Awesome guest vox from the girl from Agoraphobic Nosebleed, amazing riffs from Scott Hull, and a loose concept to tie the whole album together make for a fantastic experience.

Standout tracks: The Diplomat, The Bug, Burning Palm

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM

Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

I was floored the first time I heard this. I feel that Vanitas is a step in the correct direction for Anaal Nathrakh. The gabber-esque drums, the concise songwriting, the certain "spark" that I think has been missing for a few albums. I don't think there's as much filler on Vanitas as on their last two releases, and the stuff that's real good is REAL good. The one-two punch of "The Blood-Dimmed Tide" and "Forging Towards The Sunset" might be their best opening duo of tracks since the Codex Necro. "Todos Somos Humanos" has some of Anaal Nathrakh's most melodic sounds on it, but the entire album is through and through their most brutal in a long time. And kind of randomly, I think their final song "A Metaphor For The Dead" is their best non-"explosive" album ending track. If that makes sense. Another hit out of the park for the Birmingham band that is on par with Sabbath, Priest, Napalm and Godflesh.

Top tracks: Forging Towards The Sunset, Of Fire, and Fucking Pigs, A Metaphor For The Dead

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Converge turned a new leaf in their long and storied career and the outcome is one of the best albums in true metalcore in a very, very long time. Overall, I'd say this is Converge's most laid-back album, but some songs are some of the heaviest they've ever written, like "Trespasses" and "Glacial Pace." The band is all over the place, in typical Converge fashion. You never know if you're going to get more metal, more mathcore or more post-hardcore. Converge is the one band who can combine all these elements seemlessly and create another stunning piece of art. I won't mind those who say this is their best since Jane Doe.

Standout tracks: Sadness Comes Homes, All We Love We Leave Behind, Glacial Pace

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Asphyx - Deathhammer

I have a huge hard-on for basically anything Martin van Drunen touches. Hail of Bullets, Grand Supreme Blood Court and a few albums from Pestilence and Bolt Thrower. But his home will always be Asphyx, and Deathhammer is both a love song and a kick in the ass to the current state of death/doom metal. Whether it's the title track that kicks the teeth in of false metal bands or the sluggish horror of "As The Magma Mammoth Rises," Asphyx are dark, deep, heavy and painful - just the way it should be. The deluxe edition has their fucking awesome cover of Celtic Frost's "Os Abysmi Vel Daath" which makes it all the easier to recommend this to anyone. 2012's best death/doom record.

Standout tracks: Deathhammer, We Doom You To Death, As The Magma Mammoth Rises

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM

Black Breath - Sentenced To Life

At The Gates with more Black Flag influence than melodic death metal. If Slayer was from Sweden and formed in the 90s. The musical embodiment of rage, aggression and just being fucking pissed off - that is this album. The title track has one of the most menacing hardcore breakdowns that will make you move, guaranteed. The riffs dominate everything, though. That's what makes Black Breath stand out heads and shoulders above other pretenders in the hardcore scene - they openly embrace extreme metal influences. "Endless Corpse" was one of my favorite songs of the year. A haunting intro that just fucking explodes everywhere. I can't get enough of it. Hardcore, black metal, thrash metal, death metal, extreme metal, extreme music - fans of any of these will find a LOT to like in this band and this album.

Standout tracks: Endless Corpse, Mother Abyss, Sentenced To Life

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Dragged Into Sunlight - Widowmaker

If there's a more beautiful, scary, meancing, heavy, haunting, etherial, murderous 40-minute long track out there, please show me. I will never be able to explain why I love this so much. Just listen. Alone, with no distractions, in the dark. The final movement of Part III is one of my favorite pieces of music of all time.

Part I
Part II
Part III

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER

Last edited by mankvill; 01-14-2013 at 09:09 PM.