Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Final Fantasy Game (of the standard numbered series)?
Final Fantasy 0 0%
Final Fantasy II 0 0%
Final Fantasy III 0 0%
Final Fantasy IV 0 0%
Final Fantasy V 0 0%
Final Fantasy VI 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VII 3 33.33%
Final Fantasy VIII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy IX 0 0%
Final Fantasy X 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XI 0 0%
Final Fantasy XII 1 11.11%
Final Fantasy XIII 0 0%
Final Fantasy XIV 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I don't know man, I don't know what the fuck they are doing. They're killing my franchise. I guess if they can bring Chewbacca back for the new Star Wars they can vomit diaherea all over this too. Like, that wasn't just bad. That was fucking godawful, shit, balls, garbage terrible.

I mean, Final Fantasy VIII did have cars. And it didn't turn out that bad. Maybe this is just VIII a few generations later? But some of the dialogue was just killing me too. I guess it was the "prince" but he sounded like such a...bitchy Final Fantasy prince.

I think it's a prime example of what I touched on with Final Fantasy X and how voice acting has really been bad for the franchise. But after watching that I won't be running out and buying a next generation console the day Final Fantasy XV comes out. Unless I'm totally wrong and the game is awesome.

But I had a bad feeling when I saw this screenshot a few months ago and that feeling just got a whole lot worse.

I'm dying on the inside. I'm really upset over this. But I'll be over it tomorrow. So for tonight fuck this shit. I hope this game falls flat on it's face, get terrible reviews and puts the developers out of business.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-19-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Resident Slamologist.

I didn't have quite as negative a reaction, but I am definitely wary. I really really don't like the J-pop boy band look they have going on, plus that coupled with their stupid trying too hard to sound cool names (Noctis Lucis Caelum?), how am I supposed to spend a whole game with these people?

I don't mind the car so much either, but more why are they dressed fairly modern and they seem to be fighting some sort of knights on the side of the road? It seems like they wanted to keep the aesthetics of Versus XIII ("a fantasy based on reality") but now they're forced to mesh it with typical mainline FF stuff.

Whatever. I'm reserving judgement. Better this than another fanfiction quality FF7 sequel.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBomb View Post
I didn't have quite as negative a reaction, but I am definitely wary. I really really don't like the J-pop boy band look they have going on, plus that coupled with their stupid trying too hard to sound cool names (Noctis Lucis Caelum?), how am I supposed to spend a whole game with these people?

I don't mind the car so much either, but more why are they dressed fairly modern and they seem to be fighting some sort of knights on the side of the road? It seems like they wanted to keep the aesthetics of Versus XIII ("a fantasy based on reality") but now they're forced to mesh it with typical mainline FF stuff.

Whatever. I'm reserving judgement. Better this than another fanfiction quality FF7 sequel.
I just can't relate to it. Welcome to the thread too LogicBomb. It's been me and John forever geeking out by ourselves.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 09-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Resident Slamologist.

Ha, yeah I see that.

I've been a big FF fan since playing II (IV) on the SNES. I've rather liked all the mainline ones, except for V, which was kinda boring, and IX (I know lots of people like IX, but I never really got into it, even after beating it). I haven't played XIII, or the MMO ones. And the spin offs are hit or miss, mostly miss. Tactics is still godlike, X-2 is okay. Didn't really like Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core, especially with their fanfiction-esque stories.

Some new info on XV via Kotaku
  • car will be treated like an airship in previous games
  • not totally open world, semi open
  • 55% completed
  • seamless and "natural, flowing" combat

I haven't played Type-0, but I'm glad to have some new blood working on FF, and so far he seems to be saying mostly right things. We'll see if it pans out.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I haven't played it at all, but the new FFXV trailer/demo made it seem more like Monster Hunter or Xenogears.
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 09-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Resident Slamologist.

It actually reminded me alot of that Xenoblade 2 trailer.

Since I was already looking, found another link with some more info at Gematsu on combat; apparently you'll only be able to control Noctis? Which sucks if true. And it's "like an action game," but you have to hold down buttons to attack, instead of pressing them for each attack. Eh. I know turn based is not coming back to mainstream RPGs, but if it has to be that way they could at least make it into an awesome action game like Dragon's Dogma.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 PM

It's only fifty-five percent done? I know the more time put in may make for a better game...but that looks like shit. In March it will have been FIVE YEARS since XIII came out. The whole Mass Effect series came out over the course of five years and that shit was godly. They are really dropping the ball on this one. Style over substance!

I hope they port those Bravely Default games onto PS3.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

I really hate how Modern/Futuristic it looks. Like.... 13 was just straight up future, 12 was a mix of future and old (steampunk?), but this just looks like it takes place "in the year 20XX"

I know FF8 had cars and was a bit modern, too, but it still felt like a fantasy world. This just looks like .... well... GTA mixed with FF!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I really hate how Modern/Futuristic it looks. Like.... 13 was just straight up future, 12 was a mix of future and old (steampunk?), but this just looks like it takes place "in the year 20XX"

I know FF8 had cars and was a bit modern, too, but it still felt like a fantasy world. This just looks like .... well... GTA mixed with FF!
I'd say XIII was very similar to VIII; it was futuristic but a different future. It was like Zanarkand or one of those other ancient civilizations that are all mysterious in other games. There really wasn't too much steampunk in XII, it was straight-up old-school. That's why it was the best Final Fantasy EV-AH!

But yeah, this looks like 2014 apocalyptic America...with a behemoth and the gay turned up to eleven.

I'm about twenty-five hours into IX. It was dragging a bit last night (I did the parts were Kuja attacks Alexandria, then Kujas Desert Palace and Oeilvert) but it's still really good. The character designs are getting a bit tiresome though. A lot of work was put in to Dagger's ass that would've been better spent elsewhere.

I'm really interested if anyone who ever reads this has ever actually played XI or XIV and can tell me if there's a decent, maybe around thirty or forty hour single player campaign? One that won't require anything outside of the initial purchase price.
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-22-2014 at 10:26 AM.