Dark Tranquillity -- Seattle, WA -- January 23rd, 2015
Phil Lewis -- London, England -- January 22nd, 2015
Rush -- Brussels, Belgium -- May 12th, 1983
Marilyn Manson -- Silver Spring, MD -- January 21st, 2015

Old 01-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I did like 2, but I hated Raiden. Maybe I am a fanboy but when you have Snake at your disposal you don't make him play second fiddle to a Final Fantasy ladyboy.
This is why people cite MGS2 as a post-modern videogame - maybe the first ever.

Playing as Snake was a power fantasy for the fanboys of Metal Gear Solid 1. Metal Gear Solid was such a huge hit that people just wanted more of the same. That's what the Tanker chapter of MGS2 is - it's the game fanboys of MGS1 would gobble up no matter what. Taking away Snake after the Tanker chapter (whoops, spoiler alert I guess for people who haven't played it yet) was to make the player uncomfortable, and then the emotional connection/conversations Raiden had with Rose was just to make these macho action move fans uncomfortable. Raiden just wanted to emulate the greatest soldier who ever lived - all his talk about VR missions how they're a good substitute for on-the-battlefield experience (there's evidence to suggest the Tanker chapter is actually just Raiden performing it in VR) - it's Kojima commenting on the rabid fanbase of MGS1. Raiden is the player. It's why the layout of Big Shell and the events that happen are almost identical to what happened at Shadow Moses. And that's just the postmodern aspect of it - not really even the story which I think is brilliant too.

But people cried because they wanted to be an action hero with Snake instead of use their brains to try and understand Kojima did what he did. So MGS3 turned out to be catered solely to the fanboys - you're like SUPER SNAKE who is basically like JAMES BOND who gets a HOT GIRL and fights SUPERHEROS BASICALLY.

Not saying MGS3 isn't a fantastic game, but the negative backlash to MGS2 basically paved the way for MGS4...and we know how that went...
2/12 - You Blew It
2/19 - 1349
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

So again to espouse on how much I love MGS2 - something just happened to me playing it that has never happened in the 14 years it's been out.

I threw a chaff grenade to disable some cyphers but a guard saw me. I figured I could bolt for the exit before the guard radioed it in. He picked up his walkie-talkie and tried to use it, but he couldn't because of the chaff grenade.

It's the little things like this that make this game so fucking awesome.
2/12 - You Blew It
2/19 - 1349
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
So again to espouse on how much I love MGS2 - something just happened to me playing it that has never happened in the 14 years it's been out.

I threw a chaff grenade to disable some cyphers but a guard saw me. I figured I could bolt for the exit before the guard radioed it in. He picked up his walkie-talkie and tried to use it, but he couldn't because of the chaff grenade.

It's the little things like this that make this game so fucking awesome.
From a design, gameplay at story standpoint MGS2 was fine. Der leed churacter wuz jest gai.

03/20-21 -- Trois-Rivière Metalfest
05/09 -- Faith No More
07/06 -- U2
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
This is why people cite MGS2 as a post-modern videogame - maybe the first ever.

Playing as Snake was a power fantasy for the fanboys of Metal Gear Solid 1. Metal Gear Solid was such a huge hit that people just wanted more of the same. That's what the Tanker chapter of MGS2 is - it's the game fanboys of MGS1 would gobble up no matter what. Taking away Snake after the Tanker chapter (whoops, spoiler alert I guess for people who haven't played it yet) was to make the player uncomfortable, and then the emotional connection/conversations Raiden had with Rose was just to make these macho action move fans uncomfortable. Raiden just wanted to emulate the greatest soldier who ever lived - all his talk about VR missions how they're a good substitute for on-the-battlefield experience (there's evidence to suggest the Tanker chapter is actually just Raiden performing it in VR) - it's Kojima commenting on the rabid fanbase of MGS1. Raiden is the player. It's why the layout of Big Shell and the events that happen are almost identical to what happened at Shadow Moses. And that's just the postmodern aspect of it - not really even the story which I think is brilliant too.

But people cried because they wanted to be an action hero with Snake instead of use their brains to try and understand Kojima did what he did. So MGS3 turned out to be catered solely to the fanboys - you're like SUPER SNAKE who is basically like JAMES BOND who gets a HOT GIRL and fights SUPERHEROS BASICALLY.

Not saying MGS3 isn't a fantastic game, but the negative backlash to MGS2 basically paved the way for MGS4...and we know how that went...
I'm not a fan of them bar the first 3 - they get TOTALLY convoluted aside from that trilogy in my opinion - but you're mostly right. MGS 2 was one of the first big time sequels to challenge its own audience, and has a lot of post-modernism to it (the whole series does as it negates the gun-toting Duke Nukem approach from the early nineties) but the first post-modern game? FF VI is more worthy of that title (though if you're arguing blockbuster then MGS 2 takes it - though the culture it pushed has led to the bloated machine that is the games industry now)
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
N00B

Older game, but got Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed for PS3 for Christmas. Liking it a lot