Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Metallica
Beyond Magnetic

First off, I realize this was technically released on iTunes in 2011, but I waited and bought the EP when it was released in 2012, and this is an EP, but I didn't listen to many EPs this year, so I didn't make a list. I really dig this EP. Just A Bullet Away and Hell and Back are better than many songs on Death Magnetic. The first tune is a little cheesy, and the closer, Rebel of Babylon is another solid tune. I also think the unrefined production of this EP sounds better than DM. Some absolute riff-o-rama going on in these tunes. I love the main riff of Just A Bullet Away, and Hell and Back features some heavy-ass parts that remind me a lot of The God That Failed. Was lucky enough to see the live premiers of tracks 3+4, and they sound great live, too.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 AM

Aborted
Global Flatline

Ah, the wonderful grind of Aborted! With their last album, Stychnine.213 being very average, people weren't sure what to expect from this album. There were also several new members in the band, and I was tentative on whether this would be a plus or minus. Definately a plus. Not a weak tune anywhere on here. Album absolutely pounds and kills all the way through the last track, which is bookended by a recording of J. Robert Oppenheimer describing the first testing of the atomic bomb, which reminded him of the Bhagavad Gita proverb. That that was pretty cool. This is probably the best sounding album as far as clearness and quality goes since Goremageddon. Sven's vocals aren't drowned in any instruments, and all the riffs are actually decipherable, which isn't all that common in a lot of grind. Fans of all types of death metal should enjoy this one.

The Origin of Disease
Vermicular, Obscene, Obese

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Lamb o' God
Resolution

An album that has enough strength in the beginning and end to overcome an average middle. The first time I heard 'Straight For The Sun', I was in awe. Holy shit is that a different, but thoroughly amazing song. 'Desolation', for being a "hit" is another excellent track. Seems like it's an awesome live opener, too. Haven't seen LOG since this album was released, but the vids I've seen make the song seem brutal and incredibly intense in a live setting. The middle of the album is peppered w/ good, but not outstnading tunes. I'd consider it average for LOG. 'The Undertow' is another solid track. The closer, 'King Me', is among LOG's best songs IMO. Like the opener, it's different. Slower, more melodic and complicatedly structured than the majority of LOG's tunes, took me a listen to really dig it. Upon the 2nd listen however, I fell in love with it. Without a doubt one of Randy's best efforts. Not just on the album, but in the history of LOG. In addition, I think his performance on this album is his personal best. He still has the growl, and showed a lot more range than I've ever heard. This album has gotten mixed reviews, but I've learned to not follow that shit. If you haven't checked this album out yet, do it.

Desolation
King Me

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Biohazard
Reborn In Defiance

As Metalsetlist.com's resident Biohazard fanboy, you had to expect this somewhere on the list, right? As gay as this sounds, I don't think I'd ever been this excited for an album release. Been a fan of these guys since I was 10, so I grew up listening to them, and have always loved their outlook on life and theories on family and friends. Was thrilled when they reunited with the original lineup in 2008, and have subsequently seen them live 8x. They remain one of the best live bands on the planet. I was even more excited when they streamed 'Vengeance Is Mine' and 'Reborn', as they're both great, heavy, hardcore laced metal tracks. When I finally got the album and listened to VIM ad track 3 'Decay', I almost couldn't believe how much I liked the first 2 tracks. However, Evan threw his pimp hand down on many of these tunes, and there are a couple stinkers. Not BAD tunes, just too soft for Biohazard. However, there's always a great track after the 2-3 stinkers, so it's not too much of a buzzkill. If not for those ghey tunes, this album would have probably been number one. In addition to the 3 tracks I've mentioned, 'Reborn' and 'Skullcrusher' are 2 more amazing songs. Bobby Hambel lays down some sick solod (as per usual), and I think this is the best the rythym guitar's have sounded since 'State of the World Address'. The gang-shouted chorus', the breakdowns, everything you'd expect from Biohazard is still here. Get rid of the couple shitty tunes, and this would be my AOTY. If you ever have a chance to see these guys live, do it. They absolutely kill.

Vengeance Is Mine
Decay
Come Alive (shamelessly promoting my own vid)

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 AM

Dying Fetus
Reign Supreme

I actually had to NOT listen to this for a while, because I don't think it left my car CD player for about 6 weeks in June-July. I listened to tracks 1-4 so many damn times I had to shut myself off from the album so I didn't get sick of it. When I first heard 'Invert The Idols' live in March, before the release, obviously, I couldn't believe how fucking heavy the second part of that song was. Only about 2 minutes long, the first half is the techy-slammy shit that DF is known for, and the second half is the slammy-slammy shit DF is known for. One of my top songs of the year. Track 3 'Second Skin' is another track that made me say holy shit! The change from Sean's vocals into the slam and Jon's vocals is killer. 'Fromb Womb To Waste' is a slower, not-so-brutal track. I know, weird for DF, huh? The song still manages to be heavy and catchy. Another song that sounds great live. Track 9 'The Blood of Power' is an almost perfect album closer. One of the few DF songs w/ a solo, it as an almost perfect album closer. It starts off fairly average, and once the first breakdown hits about 2 minutes in, man, does it get good. The only think I DON'T like about this album is the middle. Tracks 5-8 are average. They each have their good parts, but I usually find myself skipping them. I don't know why some people are bitching "Oh, Relapse ruined Dying Fetus", and similar whining. Granted, I don't think is DF's most brutal album, I don't see anything bad about this album. People like to bitch about good production, but fuck if I know why. Production on the album is stellar. Guitars, drums and vocals are all perfectly leveled and blend great w/ each other. If I could change anything, it would be to bring up the bass a bit. I think Sean is a phenomenal bassist, and like to hear it.

Invert The Idols
Second Skin
The Blood of Power

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 AM

DUN DUN DUN........

Cannibal Corpse
Torture

Just gonna go on a qucik side rant here. Does anyobe read YT comments or follow CC's facebook? Man, I can't believe how many people still bitch about how Barnes is better than Corpsegrinder, CC was better w/ Barnes, blah blah blah. Jesus, people. Get the fuck over it. ANYWAY, on to the review.........

First off, I'll chat about their last 2 records, 'Kill' and 'Evisceration Plague'. Kill was decent, I thought. Nothing outstanding, nothing bad. EP, I wasn't a big fan of. There are some great songs, but the album itself, was kinda boring. 4 years after it's release, there's only 3 songs I listen to. And I've been castrated by many for not loving these "amazing" albums. Was NOTHING amazing about their last 2. Because of that, I wasn't thrilled to read about this new album. I knew it would be good, but I wasn't expecting much. That changed, rather quickly, when I heard 'Demented Aggression'. Fuckin great song!! Fast, heavy, and I love Corpsegrinder's fast lyrics! The 2nd song they streams, 'Scourge of Iron', was even better. Wow, is that song heavy. One of CC's heaviest of all time. Non-stop headbanging is a neccessity when you listen to that one. The album is peppered w/ great tracks. 'Followed Home Then Killed' is a little different than the typical CC song. An intro w/ clean guitars, and a weirdish rythym. But the song is great. 'Encased In Concrete', while being diappointed that it was the song they chose to do a video for, is another solid tune. 'Intestinal Crank' is a lightning-fast track, reminds me a lot of a Gallery of Suicide-type track. CC's bane over the years IMO, has been forgettable tracks at the end of records. Not the case here. 'Crucifer Avenged' is a great track, and 'Rabid' is probably 4th best IMO. Starts off w/ fast vocals and continues a frantic pace throughout. On another positive note, I think this is the best produced album of their's since 'Gore Obsessed'. EP had good sound quality, but sounded just "off" I guess. Can't really describe it. Kill was a little muffled it seemed, and The Wretched Spawn had a similar "off" sound, like EP did. Overall, this album isn't mind-blowing, but I believe it's their best album since 'Gore Obsessed', and is probably my favorite album of the past 3-4 years.

Demented Aggression
Scourge of Iron
Followed Home Then Killed

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM

Top 20 Tracks of 2012

1) Cannibal Corpse - Scourge of Iron
2) Dying Fetus - Invert The Idols
3) Dying Fetus - Second Skin
4) Biohazard - Come Alive
5) Metallica - Hell and Back
6) Rush - Caravan
7) Cannibal Corpse - Demented Aggression
8) The Acacia Strain - Doomblade
9) Soundgarden - Bones of Birds
10) Grave - Amongst Marble and The Dead
11) Job For A Cowboy - Children of Deceit
12) Lamb o' God - Desolation
13) Biohazard - Decay
14) Shinedown - Bully
15) Biohazard - Vengeance Is Mine
16) Metallica - Just A Bullet Away
17) Incantation - Invoked Infinity
18) Aborted - Vermicular, Obscene, Obese
19) Pathology - Asphyxiation Through Consumption
20) Lamb o' God - King Me

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Really fun reviews and brutal picks!

Nice thread man.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Metallica
Beyond Magnetic

IM ON A HATE TRAIN, YE-HAAAAH
CHOO CHOO
HATE TRAIN
YERRRRRR!!!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 01-31-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
IM ON A HATE TRAIN, YE-HAAAAH
CHOO CHOO
HATE TRAIN
YERRRRRR!!!
Yeah, that song isn't one of my faborites. Tracks 2-4 are great though.

11/25-Slayer (?)