Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thumbs up High on Fire -- Columbus, OH -- April 3rd, 2010

Venue: Skully's Music Diner
Source: Yours Truly (spoke with the bands, took pix of set lists, video clips on my camera, etc.)

Got to the venue in time for a brief stop next door at Magnolia Thunderpussy - one of the best music stores I've been in that caters to the metal crowd (they have other stuff, too - but their collection of CD's, DVD's, shirts and other gear for metalheads is really quite good. I've mentioned the store before in the Scion 2010 thread as well, but in case you didn't read that, be sure to check out Magnolia Thunderpussy if you're ever in Columbus for a show.

Anyhow, I was at this gig mainly for Bison B.C. and High on Fire, but I had listened to some Priestess and Black Cobra as well, and was looking forward to them also. I had somewhat high expectations for the evening, but little did I know how excellent a show this would turn out to be (warts and all - but more about that later).

First up was Bison. I've had both their albums for a while now, and I really like them. The crowd was somewhat sparse for them at first (maybe fifty, max), but they were heavy and loud, and their songs move at a pretty brisk pace which I would compare to High on Fire quite a bit (a perfect fit for this tour, if you ask me), and so more folks started coming out of the woodwork in short order. By the time Bison finished their set, there were definitely over a hundred people on their feet in front of the stage with fists in the air, whistling and cheering. I was glad to see that. I have a feeling Bison made some new fans last night, and as well they should.

Their set was:

Bison B.C.
Slow Hand of Death
Take the Next Exit (new)
Wendigo, Part 1 (dedicated to Jeff Matz of High on Fire, whose birthday it was last night!)
Stressed Elephant (new)
These Are My Dress Clothes

The above was confirmed by guitarist / vocalist James Farwell at their merch table after their set. I noticed he was wearing the same Burst shirt I had on at the Scion Rock Fest a couple of weeks ago, so I told him about that, and his eyes lit up. Bison had toured with Burst last year in Europe before they broke up, and he and the rest of Bison seemed to be pretty big fans of Burst. That was a cool moment for me - knowing that someone from a band I love is a big fan of another band I love which isn't really that well-known...I always love that.

Next up was Black Cobra - a sludge / doom duo from Los Angeles. I had heard some of their album stuff before this show, but still I wasn't fully prepared for how much noise these two fools would be making. Holy shit. These two guys rock. They sound like a full band - I shit you not. I have no idea how they do it - especially in a live setting. Whatever they do, it works for me. All I can tell you is that if these guys are on a bill you're thinking about seeing in the future, go.

Their set was:

Black Cobra
Omniscient
Machine
Negative Reversal
Below the Cusp
Lightning in His Hand
Chronosphere
The Sapphire Falcon
Red Tide
Five Daggers
Storm Shadow

I got a photo of Black Cobra's set list afterward, so the above should be correct.

Montreal's Priestess took the stage next. I had bought a copy of their older CD "Hello Master" (they have two albums out so far) a few months back, and I really like it. I bought the new one last night. These guys absolutely rock. Again, they are a great fit for this tour, like the other two bands I've described so far. They are definitely more melodic and a bit more poppy than High on Fire, but Priestess is without a doubt a stoner / doom outfit, and the fact that they have some (fuck that - many) cool hooks and a few shorter songs doesn't make them any less serious of a band than the big boys. Priestess know how to rock for sure, and what's even more important is that they know how to entertain. Their whole set was high energy and fun, and the smiles on all of their faces as they play is just so compelling I couldn't help but be drawn into their seriously awesome vibe. As I've said for the other bands on this tour, these dudes are definitely worth seeing if they show up on a bill near you.

Their set was:

Priestess
The Gem
Sideways Attack
Two Kids
Communicating Via-Eyes
It Baffles the Mind
Lady Killer
Lunar
I Am the Night, Colour Me Black
The Firebird
Trapped In Space & Time

The above is correct, based on a combination of songs which were announced and my trusty camera, which I use to take short video clips of bands I'm not that familiar with, in order to confirm their set list later. Speaking of which, there was one band at this gig that I definitely do not need to use this technique with, and you know who that is!

High on Fire
(Intro tape)
Frost Hammer
Devilution
How Dark We Pray
Hung, Drawn & Quartered
Rumors of War
The Yeti
Fire, Flood & Plague
Fireface / Cometh Down Hessian
Blood from Zion
Fury Whip (bitches)
Snakes for the Divine

This was my third time seeing this power trio from Oakland, and even though Matt Pike seemed like he might have been more baked than he was at the previous two gigs I've attended, the show was simply awesome regardless. After belting out the first two songs to an absolutely RABID fucking crowd (I was lovin' how many fanatical sumbitches were there besides me - lots of guys, but a ton of chicks as well - and everybody seemed to know the lyrics), Matt mistakenly announced "Hung, Drawn and Quartered" when "How Dark We Pray" was due up. The drummer Des corrected him, he shrugged it off, and they played "Dark" and then "Hung". Rumors was next, and the crowd went absolutely apeshit. Then, as the band was supposed to start playing "The Yeti", Matt started playing the opening of FFP. Des corrected him again, and this time he was visibly pissed about it. Matt seemed to be somewhat annoyed, too - either at himself or Des, but regardless the band played the next two songs as planned. When FFP was finished, Matt - who was still visibly a bit flustered - looked up at the crowd and said, "next is Fireface, you guys know that one?" The crowd went crazy. Matt nodded in semi-redemption, and the band rocked one of their true classics. At the end, they launched without stopping into Hessian, which was probably the high point of the night. The pit seethed with energy, and one dude got his nose busted open by accident, had blood streaming down his dress shirt, and continued to smile and mosh his ass off without even batting an eye. That's a got damn High on Fire fan for ya right there.

Things mellowed out just a little bit for the classic "Blood from Zion", but after the song ended, Matt looked up at the crowd and said (and I quote), "FURY WHIP, BITCHES!!!" The crowd lost their fucking minds yet again. As the song ended, Matt thanked the crowd for being such an awesome bunch, and then he launched into his furious opening riff for the title track to the new album, grimacing and twisting up his ugly-ass mug as only Matt Fucking Pike can. That song truly rocks fucking balls, and so does the new album. It has taken me a while to appreciate that, but to borrow from the subject of another currently hot thread on this forum, that's a musical truth.

A few disappointments: No mention of Jeff's birthday at all. The other three bands did it, but nothing from Matt. Not sure what was up with that.

Also, there was no encore. They had been playing "Bastard Samurai" followed by "Holy Flames of the Fire Spitter" on this tour, but that never happened last night. I really love the latter song, and I was very curious to see how the former would translate live (my guess was "much better than ya might think", but I didn't find out last night). I can only assume it had something to do with Matt's previously-described gaffs, and how Des seemed to be reacting to it all. It could also have been a time thing as well, as the set ended right around midnight (maybe there was a curfew or something).

As I said above, though, even with the few issues the band had, I came away from High on Fire's set pumped as hell, sweaty and with ears ringing (and in fact, they still are). The rest of the show was fantastic as well - all four bands are totally kick-ass. If this tour is cruising through your area and you are a fan of any of these bands or stoner / sludge / doom in general, you had better make it a point to be there - otherwise I will find you and will never stop letting you know what an awesome show you missed.

Love,
The Nat

P.S. - I got some decent photos, and I'm hoping that a video or two that I took is worthy of posting on YouTube - I'll try to get around to that later in the week.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

I very well could be seeing this tour in about a week.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 PM

^ u betta
Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
^ u betta
In Washington DC also, I'm excited.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
In Washington DC also, I'm excited.
Lucky bastard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Fireface / Cometh Down Hessian
I'd shit myself.
I'm glad they stopped closing with Devilution, it started to get predictable/boring.

Last edited by TonyD; 04-04-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Yeah that's the 1-2 punch to knock some teef out, cannot wait for this gig.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Headbanger

Great write-up man. Not only do you do a great job of describing the experience but you actually heighten the anticipation for others who are going to see the show. I'm TOTALLY psyched now!

The HoF show is Saturday and Friday is going to be a 12 hour partyfest with Orioles Opening Day and Steel Panther afterwards. I know some of my friends are going to overdo it Friday but this post ensured I won't be one of them.

I'm just hoping we get the encores!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 AM
We're dying on the inside

I Am the Night, Colour Me Black is amazing live.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm glad they stopped closing with Devilution, it started to get predictable/boring.
I didn't even know they were doing that. Yeah, something tells me the encore everybody else has been getting would have been tits. Oh well, maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Great write-up man. Not only do you do a great job of describing the experience but you actually heighten the anticipation for others who are going to see the show. I'm TOTALLY psyched now!

The HoF show is Saturday and Friday is going to be a 12 hour partyfest with Orioles Opening Day and Steel Panther afterwards. I know some of my friends are going to overdo it Friday but this post ensured I won't be one of them.

I'm just hoping we get the encores!
Thanks, and glad to hear you're psyched. You have good reason to be. If you do get to see the encores (and I don't see why you wouldn't), you'd better let me know how awesome they are, so I can live vicariously through ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I Am the Night, Colour Me Black is amazing live.
I know, right?
That was definitely the highlight of their set - the crowd loved it, and so did I. Priestess is fantastic live.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

I'm kinda pissed I didn't drive the 2 hours to see this, but I saw them two nights in a row back in the fall. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I'm sure they'll be back

Tags
bison bc, black cobra, high on fire, priestess