Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
@ early 40's
booooooooooooooooooooo
I can say the same thing about your placement of albums like Lapsus and Scurrilous, so shush.
11/06 Intronaut
Old 12-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Buahahahahaha

Favorite riff of the year

Tesseract - Concealing Fate Part 2: Deception

From 2:51-3:18

I'm sure a whole lot of you won't agree with me here, and some of you may even be disappointed that of all the great riffs to come out of 2011, I choose one from a djent band .

The reason I choose this riff as my favorite riff of 2011 is because no other riff hit me quite like this one did. It is aggressive, heavy, technical, and proggy. That alone makes a great riff to me, but it's juxtaposition in the song is what really makes it. For the most part the song is full of atmospheric chording and lots of chugs. So to one, it might seem kind of a monotonous piece, but then that riff comes out of nowhere and smacks you in the face. Every time I hear it, I can't help but bang my head, and the two times I've seen Tesseract live and the 4 times I've heard it (they use it in two songs that are part of one large, cohesive piece) I've gone completely apeshit. Simply, it is an awesome riff that thrives not only on aggression but also complexity and makes for an amazing combination. From 2011 there are plenty of songs that are better than Deception, plenty of albums better than One, but no riffs struck me quite like this one did.
11/06 Intronaut
Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Buahahahahaha

Most Disappointing Album of the Year) Megadeth - TH1RT3EN

When I heard that David Ellefeson had re-joined Megadeth back in 2010, my initial reaction was excitement for their next album. Ellefeson did help in the song writing process back when he was part of the band, and I was really excited to see what he could bring to the table. Their album before this was great, so I thought that having both Daves back in the band would make for a great record. And I think it would have if Megadeth had more time to work on the album, but that wasn't the case.

With Thirteen, we get about 30 minutes of material we haven't heard before and 4 songs that had already been released before. All of the originals tunes that Megadeth wrote for this record all feel rushed and uninspired. Now, I know this may be due to the fact that the record companies put the pressure on them, and they can't really be blamed for that, but that doesn't erase the fact that Thirteen was overall a pretty disappointing record. A lot of the tracks are being recycled and all of the actual new songs are uninspired and most of the time, very cheesy. Maybe next release will show what the band can truly do with both Daves.

Also, my computer is being cleaned out, so I won't be able to continue with the Top 50 'til about friday.
11/06 Intronaut
Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Rats off to ya

Today I accidentally erased Th1rt3en from my computer. I don't think i'm gonna bother re-downloading it.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
I can say the same thing about your placement of albums like Lapsus and Scurrilous, so shush.
You haven't seen my final list yet foo.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Wow dude, you REALLY hate In Waves.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:

Most Disappointing Album of the Year) Megadeth - TH1RT3EN

When I heard that David Ellefeson had re-joined Megadeth back in 2010, my initial reaction was excitement for their next album. Ellefeson did help in the song writing process back when he was part of the band, and I was really excited to see what he could bring to the table. Their album before this was great, so I thought that having both Daves back in the band would make for a great record. And I think it would have if Megadeth had more time to work on the album, but that wasn't the case.

With Thirteen, we get about 30 minutes of material we haven't heard before and 4 songs that had already been released before. All of the originals tunes that Megadeth wrote for this record all feel rushed and uninspired. Now, I know this may be due to the fact that the record companies put the pressure on them, and they can't really be blamed for that, but that doesn't erase the fact that Thirteen was overall a pretty disappointing record. A lot of the tracks are being recycled and all of the actual new songs are uninspired and most of the time, very cheesy. Maybe next release will show what the band can truly do with both Daves.

Also, my computer is being cleaned out, so I won't be able to continue with the Top 50 'til about friday.

Was one of my biggest disappointments, too.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Buahahahahaha

40) Helms Alee Ė Wheatherhead
If I had to lump Helms Alee into one genre, Iíd probably go ahead and say Avant-Garde. But theyíre not Avant-Garde the same way a band like Unexpect is. They just combine a ton of genres such as sludge, punk, shoegaze, and other styles. Their mix is pretty seem less, which produces kind of an unconventional sound, but it works for them. The band I hear most in them are Kylesa but thatís not even half of the time. These guys can go from a fast-paced punk tune straight to an acoustic guitar song, and it sounds pretty great. But I think it is best when the band actually does have a line of songs that actually do all mesh together. That happens in the middle of the album, starting with the song Anemone of the Wound and ending with Revel! . If the band could buckle down from showing off all of their influences, which they do quite well Iíll admit, and focus more on writing songs that all fit together, they could make a really good album.
8/16

39) Mogwai Ė Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will
Mogwai were on of the first few post-rock bands I started listening to along with GY!BE sleepmakeswaves. Their style of post-rock is different from those two bands. Mogwai often riffs for a while, allows the song to build on itself, but never really have the huge crescendo and climax. That doesnít make it a bad thing at all, because sometimes when bands make an effort to include their crescendo and climax in every song it gets boring, but it often leaves me with an empty feeling. Itís good thinking music though, and definitely has its good qualities. Mogwai are excellent song writers, but forget that vital element of post-rock that really completes it. Also, best album title of 2011 right here, so props for that.
You're Lionel Richie

38) Red Hot Chili Peppers Ė Iím With You
With John Frusciante leaving for a second time, Red Hot Chili Peppers are entering into a new epoch; one where Josh Klinghoffer is filling the role as guitarist. With most bands, a change in the line-up is always an opportunity to explore new ground and to enhance your sound. Red Hot Chili Peppers did that with Iím With You, to an extent. They definitely explored new ground. A lot of these tracks feature a lot of back up vocals and vocal harmonies from Josh. His voice is in a higher range, and it took a few listens for me to fully notice this. It became most evident in the track Did I Let You Know, but at first I thought it was a guest vocalist, only to find out from the album booklet that there were no guest vocalists. Piano is also used quite a bit on this record, appearing in at least 5 tracks. They also experiment with some new genres, like bossa nova, that we havenít heard on any RHCP track before. So while they do some experimenting, as a whole, they donít really enhance their sound. Iím With You really is just your standard RHCP album. Anthonyís lyrics still donít make any damn sense, a lot of the songs still start out with Fleaís funky basslines, and the songs are still simple funk rock tunes. Red Hot Chili Peppers donít really re-invent themselves on this album; they just add a few bells and whistles to their signature sound.
Did I Let You Know

37) Foo Fighters Ė Wasting Light
Yíknow, I think this is the album Iíve listened to most this year. The day my dad put Wasting Light into his 6-slot CD player in his car was a day that started a new epoch. Dad would no longer blast Crack The Skye, for Dave Grohl and gang were too busy seeping into his brain and become his new obsession. So, on most mornings on the way to the gym and on the way to school, Wasting Light is what I was listening to. And itís a fine record. Foo Fighters have produced my favorite rock album of the year with Wasting Light. It is full of catchy tunes that will rock your socks off. Itís got a pretty decent mix of material from songs that are fast and furious like White Lime, to ballads like I Should Have Known, and rock anthems like Dear Rosemary. There really arenít any duds on the album, but a fair amount of the songs are pretty average to say the least. But that doesnít erase the fact that all of these songs are incredible catchy and each could probably a radio single on their own. Wasting Light is the best a radio rock album can be.
A Matter of Time

36) Autopsy Ė Macabre Eternal
Let it be known that I am some what new to the whole death metal thing. So, when it came time to listen to the new Autopsy record, Macabre Eternal, I didnít really know what to expect. I still havenít listened to their older records, so I couldnít compare Macabre to anything. So my opinions on this album are solely based on the quality of the music, and not how it may compare to previous works, which I try not to do, but end up doing anyways sometimes.

So, Macabre Eternal is a really great record. Itís heavy, sinister, and even a bit sludgey. It definitely has its fast moments, but I feel for the most part is a slower form of death metal, which is my favorite. Thatíll be evident in some other choices I have further up in the list. This album combines horrifying vocals that vary from death growls to tortured screeches, with pulverizing guitars, filthy bass, and great drum work. These guys definitely have chops. The only reason I have this album this low on the list is because of the 11 minute track Sadistic Gratification. Being the progfag I am, when I saw an album that reached the 11 minute mark I immediately thought, ďOoooh, an epic!Ē, and Sadistic Gratification definitely isnít that. It is pretty much a typical Autopsy song, but extended a little too much for itís own good. If it were cut, the album would be easier to get through and I wouldnít have much to complain about. Even with that issue, it is a great record and Iíll do my homework and check out their previous albums!
Dirty Gore Whore
11/06 Intronaut
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Mogwai often riffs for a while, allows the song to build on itself, but never really have the huge crescendo and climax. That doesn’t make it a bad thing at all, because sometimes when bands make an effort to include their crescendo and climax in every song it gets boring, but it often leaves me with an empty feeling...Mogwai are excellent song writers, but forget that vital element of post-rock that really completes it.
Sooooo it must be kind of a bad thing then, eh?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroRob View Post
Sooooo it must be kind of a bad thing then, eh?
Sort of. I tried to explain how it can both a pro and a con. It's not really bad, but just a little incomplete.
11/06 Intronaut