Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

This is the first list I've seen with EITS on it.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Buahahahahaha

I guess I'm the only one who liked it.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Altars of Radness

I thought wine liked it, but apparently not enough to put it on his list.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 PM
That Guy

If this was the first EITS album I ever heard, I would love it. But it's not and I know what they capable of, this isn't it.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Buahahahahaha

25) Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
Fleet Foxes are band that captured a lot of people’s attention last year. Helplessness Blues was ranked #4 in Rolling Stone’s top 50 albums of 2011, and was Anthony Fantano’s favorite album of 2011. These guys are folk, in a very traditional way unlike Iron & Wine. The album is full of great guitar work and rich, amazing vocal harmonies that are border-line angelic. Robin Pecknold is a great songwriter. These songs are beautiful, romantic, and really fleshed out. These guys aren’t straight up just acoustic guitar, bass, vocals and percussion, there are a lot of other instruments brought in like hammond organ, flute, violin, and other instruments that aren’t foreign to folk but some that are like woodwinds. This album is a really great play through, and I highly recommend it to anybody who is a fan of folk, baroque pop, and just really beautiful music.
Lorelai

24) The Seven Mile Journey – Notes for Synthesis
There was a time where this album was number 2 on my mist, above albums that are still in my Top 10. So then why did it drop so low? Here’s the story behind it. So when I first listened to this album, I think the main reason I loved it so much was because how eerie it is. A lot of the sound-scapes and a lot of the atmosphere and environment that The Seven Mile Journey creates are incredibly eerie and sinister. A lot of the chord choices and pounding drums build up this really tense sound, and the way they work piano into the mix only adds to the creepy vibe. But after a few listens, something didn’t feel right. The Seven Mile Journey are master’s in the craft of building up a song, really fleshing it out and creating and intense wall of sound. But after these build-ups, there isn’t a climax to end the song, there is no huge explosion of sound that concludes the piece. So after a while, it started the songs were no longer seven mile journeys, but seven mile drags. But then again, the album clicked with me. Not as much as the first time around, but I still do really love the intense and eerie music these guys create. And a lot of the songs do flow into each other, so I really dig that too. So, this is a awesome post-rock album, even with the cliché climaxes.
The Alter Ego Autopsies

23) Revocation – Chaos of Forms
Chaos of Forms is a musical melting-pot. You hear tons of different genres in this album, ranging from extreme metal genres like death metal, thrash, prog, and black metal; to non-metal genre like blues and even a little big band. They also get plenty of different flavors from their metal influences, not only going fast all the time but even using some mid-paced stuff. They have song that mix these different genres quite well too, when you hear the guys going from death metal riffing to a more progressive style that reflects that of Scale the Summit. And of course, a lot of the material showcases their technical ability to the fullest extent. A lot of the riffs are technical as can be and the solos absolutely shred! The drum work is also quite impressive and this album has some really sweet basslines. This album is a helluva listen, and is highly recommended to those who enjoy themselves some technical deathrash with plenty of other influences.
The Watchers

22) Tesseract – One
It shouldn’t really come as much of a surprise that a bass player loves an album that’s extremely rhythm-based. One of the few djent bands that I deem acceptable, Tesseract are really good at making something really boring, the chug, and making it entertaining. It’s not just because of their keen sense of creating awesome polyrhythms, but their ability to create a really cool atmospheric vibe around all the chugging. I don’t know if it’s the tone they get, or the echoed melodies, beautifully plucked from the guitar that they often have going during the chug-heavy sections. Some that also adds to the atmospheric element of the music is their then-vocalist, Dan Tompkins, whose voice is really hard to describe, but extremely versatile. He uses rough vocals for the really heavy parts, and soaring clean vocals most of the time, and it just really completes the music. He’s got a really definitive voice. The combination of atmosphere and relentless heavy riffing, and great musicianship from the band, especially vocals and drums, is an awesome combination that makes One a unique djent album that doesn’t focus so much on technical ability, but great songwriting.
Concealing Fate Pt. 2 - Deception

21) Vallenfyre – A Fragile King
The UK’s Vallenfyre were a nice treat to end 2011 with. If it weren’t for the positive review in the December issue of Decibel, this would’ve gone unnoticed by your truly. Vallenfyre are a death metal band that take elements from death and sludge metal and add it to their mix of brutality. For the most part it’s still rather fast-paced death metal, but the tone these guys get with their guitars is really gritty, much like you’d find with a sludge band. They do have some slower section in some songs, which provide really huge, monolithic riffs that just absolutely crush. The vocalist is probably one of my favorite aspects of the band. He’s got a really great growl that’s just incredibly low and brutal. Along with awesome vocals, this collection of pummeling riffs and powering drums makes for a great death metal album that is a must listen if you enjoy death metal with a doom twist.
Seeds
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I thought wine liked it, but apparently not enough to put it on his list.
It was #52. Didn't make the cut.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Buahahahahaha

TOP 5 EPs

5) Ancients – Ancients EP
I don’t remember who it was, but someone on this forum recommended these guys on the “Now Playing” thread. They advertised that the band had their debut EP for free on their bandcamp, so I decided to give it a shot. Smart move on my part. Ancients are a progressive metal band, whose sound I can’t really compare to any other band. Whether that’s due to my lack of knowledge or the fact that these guys are thuper duper original, I don’t know, but I dig it. They combine both on clean and harsh vocals, using clean more. The two tracks on this EP are full of awesome guitar melodies, and they’re often harmonized! Definitely a must listen for fans of progressive metal with a modern take.
Ancients' Facebook

4) Cynic – Carbon-Based Anatomy
Instead of going on another 10 year hiatus to retreat to the mountains in Tibet and meditate, Paul Masvidal decided to keep Cynic alive for another release. With Carbon Based Anatomy, we hear Paul without the vocoder, and Cynic straying even further away from metal. This is very much a progressive rock/fusion record more than anything else. Now, with this EP, we really only get three songs, and three filler tracks. But even the fillers are interesting, as they explore musical styles from different parts of the orient. The three actual tracks on here are odd and experimental in typical Cynic fashion. They implement a lot of vocal harmonies and even a choir. If you like Cynic, especially Traced in Air, you’ll definitely dig this.
Carbon-Based Anatomy

3) Trundler – Trundler
Trundler are a now defunct progressive rock band from Santa Rosa, CA. One of my good friends is the drummer/vocalist. Now, I know that may make this choice come off as a little biased, but this truly is great music. It’s a mellower/more melodic form of prog rock that thrives on incredible vocal harmonies, often incorporating all five members of the band that creates a rich, full sound. The three tracks on this EP are all varied, which makes it quite an enjoyable listen. You can download it at their bandcamp.

2) Giant Squid – Cenotes
Our favorite crustaceans return from their Donner Party and bring forth some more nautical nonsense. Cenotes, a concept EP relating to their sophomore album, The Ichthyologist, presents us with Giant Squid’s heaviest release yet, making Neonate seem like, well, a neonate. This release is more focused than its predecessors and offers more variety. They take their obvious middle-eastern influences to a new extreme, bringing in some sitar on a couple of the tracks, which adds a great atmosphere. The musicians on the album have also stepped up their game. Aaron’s riffs are getting more technical, as are Bryan’s bass lines, and Jackie’s cello parts are crazier than anything I’ve heard on any of Grayceon’s albums. Also, their vocals on this album are absolutely incredible. This album really shows that band progressing, and I can’t wait to here what comes next.
Tongue Stones

1) Between the Buried and Me – The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues.
*applying flameshield*
Now, I know a lot of people give me crap for placing any other EP over Cenotes, but it should be a known fact that BTBAM are one of my favorite bands. Their combination of progressive metal, death metal, and all other genres of music out there is one that I find to be truly unique. Most of the musicians in this band are my favorite of the metal genre, and this EP just further showcases their musical prowess, both in the field of technical ability and songwriting. Musically, this release is probably the heaviest thing that BTBAM have released. I feel that they instead writing badass, heavy-as-hell, riffs that transition into writing quirky prog parts or vice versa as they have on past releases, they focused on combining the two elements on this release, and it result is phenomenal. That’s not to say that both elements in their music don’t get some of their own time, there’s a polka section in one of these songs, but it’s definitely more conjoined on this record, and makes it feel fuller and doesn’t give off a pretentious vibe that most modern prog metal bands can’t seem to mask. Lyrically, this EP introduces the concept that will appear on their next full-length, which tells the tale of two protagonists from two separate galaxies that fall under similar circumstances, and somehow intertwine. I think it’s about the two characters in the songs Sun of Nothing and Swim To The Moon. So, with this EP, BTBAM have improved on their sound and have released their heaviest material yet. If you’re a fan of progressive metal and don’t mind all the screamin’ and the shoutin’, check this EP out if you already haven’t.
Augment of Rebirth
Old 01-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post

21) Vallenfyre – A Fragile King

Excellent choice! Glad somebody else enjoyed this awesome record as well
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Buahahahahaha

20) Unexpect – Fables of the Sleepless Empire
It’s not too often you hear violins in metal, but it’s even less common to hear 9-string basses in the mix. Along with a keyboardist, a drummer, two guitarists which both do vocals and a female singer with an operatic voice, Unexpect create some of the most unconventional music that the metal scene has to offer. The Canadian avant-metaller’s third album, Fables of the Sleepless Empire, is probably their quirkiest record to date. While not as frantic or flat-out freighting as its predecessor, Fables still leaves the listener in a state of blissful confusion and a tad uncomfortable. As one could guess, there is a wide array of sounds on this album, from calm ambient, to frantic tech-riffs, brutal slams, classical or electronic interweaved into metal riffs, and much, much more. The thing that shines most on this record is ChaotH’s insane bass playing. He uses the 9-string in many ways, from 2 hand tapping, to slapping, or just creating awesome bass grooves. This album is very interesting and has a lot of cool ideas, but isn’t exactly the most accessible one out there. If you’re interested in all things weird and avant-garde or just wanna listen to some great musicianship and interesting song-writing, give Fables of the Sleeples Empire a listen.
Words

19) Hunters – From Birth To Soil
One of the main attractions to metal for many people is the fact that it allows people to cut loose and get rowdy. People often go to metal shows so they can get crazy in a comfortable environment and just revert to their primal instincts. Hunters create the perfect music for that with From Birth To Soil. Musically, they’re a really heavy, groovy sludge metal and their vocalists uses really low, deep gutturals, occasionally using some high screams as sort of a harmony to accompany the low growls. The riffs are absolutely killer and the breakdowns are brutal. Simply put, this death/sludge metal bands kicks ass and you need to listen to them now.
Predatory Skin

18) Bloodiest – Descent
Most of the time when people think post-metal, they think of music that’s an atmospheric sludge type thing, like Isis or Neurosis. But if there ever really was a post-metal, as in what type of extreme music came out after metal died or something, Bloodiest would fit the bill. They have all the things that make up a metal band - assaulting guitars that are often tremolo picking or creating sinister, heavy chords, a vocalist who uses screaming/shouting vocals, and a pounding rhythm section - but they don’t really sound like a metal band. It’s as if metal evolved out of its reptilian brain. The music has a really eerie atmosphere surrounding it that sends kind of sad, painful and distraught vibes. It is pretty slow-paced, but the guitars are often picking a lot of notes. Like some post-rock bands, they often build entire songs off of one idea and really flesh it out and little it build on it-self like in Dead Inside, but like a lot of disappointing post-rock songs I heard this year, they often end abruptly, like Dead Inside. My favorite thing about this album is that it ends where it started off. They don’t use the same riff twice per-se, but the first and final tracks have very similar ideas going on, and I like who it makes the whole album feel like one piece with several movements. Overall, this is a really interesting and unique take on metal music, and is a must listen for fans of the abstract.
Slave Rule

17) Disma – Toward The Megalith
Both Disma’s and Vallenfyre’s debuts were death metal with elements of sludge/doom metal thrown in the mix. So what makes Disma’s Toward the Megalith better? Well for one, the over all tone of the album is just a lot of punishing. It’s slower, heavier, a lot more insidious and all around just way more brutal than A Fragile King. The tones the guitars and basses get on this album are just the filthiest, grittiest things I heard in all of 2011. It’s so muddy and fuzzy that I can’t help but just adore it. The vocals are really low and guttural, and remind me of those of Daniel Droste of Ahab. Whether they’re grooving on a really slow, doomy riff, or blasting their way through a fast death metal passage, the band always sound like pure fucking evil, which is exactly what somebody wants from their music when they’re listening to a genre called “death metal”. This album rips and is a must listen to all fans of death metal.
Vault of Membros

16) Red Fang – Murder the Mountains
Red Fang are the next big thing in the metal community. Their infectious, catchy form of stoner/sludge metal landed them on the biggest US hard rock/metal tour, and now they’re opening up for the likes of Mastodon both in the North America and Europe. We’re already seeing them in the video game scene; Number Thirteen is on the popular music video game Rocksmith. And all of this is for a good reason, as Red Fang are an incredibly deserving band. Their music sounds like a combination of all the projects that Josh Homme has been a part of and then some. They’ve got the catchiness of QOTSA and the heaviness and stoner rock aesthetic of Kyuss. There are a lot of sounds on the record, from the slow, sludginess of Throw Up, the stoner rock anthem Wires, and the borderline thrash of Painted Parade. This is a band that all fans of stoner metal and hard rock should check out.
Wires
Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

'Bout time you updated this.

Great description on # 15.