Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I saw Overkill when they opened for Testament in February. They weren't bad.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Now I know you're high

About the only correct thing here is that Slayer are above Destruction.

They aren't even the best live thrash bands, let alone metal bands. Those are two of the most boring live performers I've ever seen. They make Motorhead look dynamic and engaging.

Mosh pits != good performances.
I have no interest in mosh pits. I'm small and get thrown around. I always stay as far away as possible.

The reason those two bands are two of the best I've seen is because they are easily the heaviest bands I've ever seen and it was just nonstop headbanging from both me and the bands. Also, both bands played really great setlists.

Motorhead is a fun live band for a little while, but I'm not too interested in seeing them again. They do a poor job of changing up their sets, and they aren't too interesting. With that said, hearing them play "Overkill" live was one of the best experiences I've had.
9/5 - Spell/Manacle
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I have no interest in mosh pits. I'm small and get thrown around. I always stay as far away as possible.

Quote:
The reason those two bands are two of the best I've seen is because they are easily the heaviest bands I've ever seen and it was just nonstop headbanging from both me and the bands. Also, both bands played really great setlists.
None of those things are anything to do with their actual performances. I mean sure, great setlists etc. contribute to a great show, but a great setlist can still be performed badly. Conversely a boring setlist can be performed brilliantly.

I guess this thread has become "most enjoyable gigs", rather than "best live bands". Not really the same thing.

Quote:
They do a poor job of changing up their sets, and they aren't too interesting.
Exactly like Slayer and Destruction

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival

Last edited by ravenheart; 05-28-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM
N00B

Iron Maiden (Probably the most awe-inspiring concert moment I've had was seeing them from the barricade)
Metallica
Judas Priest
Anthrax
Clutch
Slayer
Devin Townsend Project (Seen him twice as an opener and want to see him play a headlining show in the worst way)
AC/DC
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Hunting High And Low

Well I've seen a couple of more shows since I last posted on this thread, so Ill update.

Ted Nugent: Mainly just because of the extremely tight musicianship and killer guitar tone he has, and not to mention the high energy!

Styx: What an amazing live show, that made me a huge fan of them.Unbelievable stage show (superb lights, lots of screen stuff, rotating keyboard, etc.), a ton of energy, and Tommy Shaw is probably the definition of rockstar.WAY better live than on disc.

Poison: I'm sorry, but whether you like them or not, you have to be a very boring person to not enjoy a Poison show.The energy is very high, the music is very tight, and the band just brings an over all since of joy and happyiness to the stage, making for a very good feel-good concert.Say what you will about Bret Michaels, but he sure is a big ball of energy and interacts with the crowd like no other frontman I've seen.Guys, work on your setlists though!

Journey: It's Journey, there's really nothing more to say about this live show other than it was meant for huge venues, the light/screen show is spectacular, and Arnel Pineda is so full of energy, jumping and dancing all over the stage (something Steve Perry rarely did), that he practically carry's the show by himself.As I said, it's Journey, nothing else needs to be said I believe.

Of course there's many bands who I've yet to see live that I'm hoping to (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween, Cinderella, Extreme, Alice Cooper, etc.).