12.Animal
13.Pour Some Sugar On Me
14.Let It Go
15.Rock Of Ages
Encore:
16.Photograph
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM
N00B

You keep getting closer to the actual shows I went to. I saw this one 8 days earlier in Lake Placid, NY. This was before the Hysteria album went nuclear - there weren't many people there at all, maybe a few thousand - I can't recall, but it was one of the emptiest arena shows I have seen. They were set up to be "in the round" - a set up which I didn't really care for.

Tesla opened that show.
10/26/14 - Judas Priest
11/23/14 - Exodus
Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
You keep getting closer to the actual shows I went to. I saw this one 8 days earlier in Lake Placid, NY. This was before the Hysteria album went nuclear - there weren't many people there at all, maybe a few thousand - I can't recall, but it was one of the emptiest arena shows I have seen. They were set up to be "in the round" - a set up which I didn't really care for.

Tesla opened that show.
Telsa must have been good,I can't believe Def Leppard would have that few of people at that time,I mean Pyromania alone should have been enough to keep people coming.I would love to see a band in the round,it's a great setup to me
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
N00B

Pyromania came out in the fall of 1983, so a full 4 years had passed, so they were starting to fade away (Rick Allen's injury of course a factor). Plus it was Lake Placid - not really easily accessible to any sort of city at all.

It really wasn't until Pour Some Sugar On Me was released the next spring that they started selling out arenas.

I recall a good show - I guess I was actually too close to the stage (I stood at one of the corners of the stage) to get the full effect of the "in the round". (The only other "in the round" show I saw was Yes, coincidentally at the same arena in Lake Placid - I was up some rows in the seats and did enjoy the setup a little more.)
10/26/14 - Judas Priest
11/23/14 - Exodus
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Telsa must have been good,I can't believe Def Leppard would have that few of people at that time,I mean Pyromania alone should have been enough to keep people coming.I would love to see a band in the round,it's a great setup to me
Don't forget there was that four year gap between Pyro and Hysteria because Rick lost his arm in that car accident. Yes, Pyromania was huge for them but after taking so long between albums their audience had moved on. Four years is a long time between albums and a lot changes in that short period of time, especially in the music world.

With Hysteria they needed to find a new audience and gain back the old one. Women was released as the first single and while it's a great tune and has become a big fan favorite over time, the song didn't do anything when first released. Animal was released next and the album did start to pick up some steam but still Animal was not as popular upon it's release as it would become over time.

When Sugar was made a single is when the whole thing went nuclear for them. MTV and radio had the song on constant rotation. It's hard to explain today just how huge that song became because there's really no equivalent to compare it to now. Love Bites, Armageddon It and Hysteria were all became huge hits as well. Women and Animal started to get more airplay after the album got huge. So it took those two songs a couple years to become hits but it eventually happened.

I saw Def Leppard on the Adrenalize tour and that show was in the round and I had 5th row on the floor. I thought it was a pretty damn cool setup but I was 14 at the time and was just happy to see my favorite band from my childhood live for the first time. So, maybe the stage setup wasn't as cool as I thought it was.

Here's the set from that show:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-le...-7bddd6e4.html
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Don't forget there was that four year gap between Pyro and Hysteria because Rick lost his arm in that car accident. Yes, Pyromania was huge for them but after taking so long between albums their audience had moved on. Four years is a long time between albums and a lot changes in that short period of time, especially in the music world.

With Hysteria they needed to find a new audience and gain back the old one. Women was released as the first single and while it's a great tune and has become a big fan favorite over time, the song didn't do anything when first released. Animal was released next and the album did start to pick up some steam but still Animal was not as popular upon it's release as it would become over time.

When Sugar was made a single is when the whole thing went nuclear for them. MTV and radio had the song on constant rotation. It's hard to explain today just how huge that song became because there's really no equivalent to compare it to now. Love Bites, Armageddon It and Hysteria were all became huge hits as well. Women and Animal started to get more airplay after the album got huge. So it took those two songs a couple years to become hits but it eventually happened.

I saw Def Leppard on the Adrenalize tour and that show was in the round and I had 5th row on the floor. I thought it was a pretty damn cool setup but I was 14 at the time and was just happy to see my favorite band from my childhood live for the first time. So, maybe the stage setup wasn't as cool as I thought it was.

Here's the set from that show:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-le...-7bddd6e4.html
Animal did reach number 21 on the billboard though
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
N00B

My mom took me to see the Pyromania tour, when the drummer still had two arms. I think I was 12.
10/28 Priest
11/22 Slayer
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM
N00B

As far as the setlist goes, Stagefright is a pretty cool opener.
Maybe drop Die Hard The Hunter for another High 'N Dry tune like On Through The Night or the title track.
10/26/14 - Judas Priest
11/23/14 - Exodus
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 AM
N00B

I saw this tour in Chicago.
Yep, this was right after Hysteria came out, but hadn't "blown up" as others have stated.

i do recall it being a pretty good turnout though.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM
somebody somewhere

Pretty much the same scenario for me. I saw this tour a couple months later in Portland, OR. Still one of the best shows I have ever seen. In the round was awesome. The turnout was great, almost sold out which would be around 13,000. At this point only Women and Animal had been released as singles. I don't remember them playing Hysteria at my show, setlistfm says they did. They came back to Portland in 88', they sold out two shows easily in the same venue. I remember Tesla sounded good, but nobody knew who they were.

Tags
def leppard