Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014
King Diamond -- Salt Lake City, UT -- October 26th, 2014
Raven -- San Francisco, CA -- October 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Flying Whales is about fat chicks crowdsurfing.

I'm also going to go in order of when the band affected me.

3 Doors Down
The first rock band I ever listened to. My dad made me a mix CD of them when I was 5 or 6. Absolutely loved it.

Godsmack
One of my favorite movies when I was a young lad was The Scorpion King. I ended up getting it on DVD, and the music video to "I Stand Alone" was on there. I absolutely LOVED it and yet again, my dad made me a mix CD of them. They were my first introduction to hard rock/metal although it didn't really bridge me to anything. I still listened to softer rock like Aerosmith and Creed up until middle school.

Metallica
I started really getting into Metallica when I was in 7th grade. I'd always listened to songs like Fade to Black and Nothing Else Matters but I started exploring their other stuff. I went through a straight year of basically listening to NOTHING but Metallica, new and old. I listened to Master of Puppets probably about 200 times throughout 2008. To this day they're in my top 3 favorite bands.

Killswitch Engage
I ended up seeing this band live before actually listening to them (my friend dragged me to Mayhem 09 before I listened to much metal) but I had so much fun that I looked up a ton of their stuff. It's because of KSE that I was able to grow used to any type of screaming in my music because I still only listened to metal with clean vocals.

Hatebreed
The first time I listened to Hatebreed I absolutely hated them. I didn't "get" hardcore music at the time, but over time they grew on me. They were the first band I ever regularly listened to that had a punk edge to them.

Mastodon
I listened to Crack The Skye for the first time on a long car ride a few years ago, and I've been in utter love with the band ever since. I didn't have much experience with progressive metal before that album, but it was a hell of a place to start. When I started exploring other albums like Leviathan and Blood Mountain I also discovered sludge/stoner metal, which I also love to this day. If it weren't for Mastodon I wouldn't have ever found some of my other favorite bands like Baroness or Kyuss. I probably would have never even further explored what is now my all time favorite band, Tool.

As I Lay Dying
I went through a sort of metal elitist phase at the beginning of high school, in which I denounced all things modern metalcore, but I eventually grew out of it and started exploring. I wound up discovering what is now one of my all time favorite bands. I was drawn in at first by the combination of heavy songwriting with generally catchy choruses, but it was the band's lyrical content that made me stay. There's something about Tim's lyrics that connects to me despite the fact I have a very different set of beliefs than him. AILD also bridged me to one of my favorite other bands, Parkway Drive.

That's only 7, but I can't think of 3 others. I could list 3 other bands I like but I can't think of any bands that bridged me to different kinds of music really.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Humanaut

No particular order

Rage Against the Machine
Opeth
Meshuggah/Mnemic
At The Gates
Sepultura
Sevendust
The Mars Volta
Bob Marley
Nine Inch Nails
Ill Nino
John Coltrane

It's 11, I know. But it's always better to go up to 11.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
We're dying on the inside

Iron Maiden (2003) - First got me into music that I didn't passively consume via the radio, period.
Blind Guardian (2004) - First got me digging a little deeper for bands.
Genesis (2004) - Kicked off my love affair with challenging music, and with my anglophilia.
Mastodon (2004) - Leviathan was my first "new album" that I loved, before that I had been digging for classics.
At the Gates (2004) - Got me into death metal.
Immortal (2005) - Got me into black metal.
The Decemberists (2006) - Got me into non-metal/prog rock, can't defend all their stuff today but I wouldn't be in the indie rock biz without 'em.
Mouth of the Architect (2006) - Made me give a shit about local shows and "the scene," for whatever that's worth. I've fallen out of touch with the scene here (because there aren't good bands in it) but going to shows in sweltering basements and makeshift galleries in Dayton, Ohio from 2006-2009 will always feel like home.
Wolves in the Throne Room (2007) - Got me into "criticky metal" which is mostly what I listen to today.
Fucked Up (2011) - First band that as an on-my-own, independent adult that really resonated with me. I've traveled all over the world to see them and I'll probably always associate them with that transition from a kid to a man. (I turn 23 this year.)
Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 AM
N00B

No particular order.

Iron Maiden- hearing Hallowed Be Thy Name on the radio back in 2003 officially made me a metal head.
Rush- I used to hate Rush when I was a little kid, particularly Geddy's vocals but something clicked when I watched Rush in Rio, particularly Natural Science. Opened my eyes to complex music that I still enjoy today. Still one of my favorite bands of all time.
Blind Guardian- first riff and verse of Majesty turned me into a huge power metal fan.
Dream Theater- another band that took forever to click but once it did, opened up the flood gates for other bands that I never really appreciated before, like Opeth and Tool.
In Flames- While not my favorite band anymore in terms of death metal vocals, I had a pretty hard time getting used to growling until I heard Jotun.
Def Leppard - the first band that I was ever obsessed with when I was younger. Pyromania still stands as one of my favorite albums ever.
Styx- 70's arena rock had always been something that was drilled into my head by my parents, and Styx to me still stands on top of that time. Dennis DeYoung was my favorite vocalist for many years.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Iron Maiden- Got me into metal beyond stuff like Metallica and Black Sabbath. Also, the reason I'm here.
Green Day- My first punk rock band
Goo Goo Dolls- A Boy Named Goo is the first music I ever bought for myself
Sleater-Kinney- Favorite band forever and all time. Also a gateway to indie rock in general.
Opeth- Got me to come around to growling vocals
Dead Kennedys- Took me beyond pop-punk into the old-school stuff
Blink-182- So many high school feels
Tegan and Sara- So many college feels
AFI- Met a lot of great friends though that community
Pig Destroyer- The first extreme metal band I liked
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM
N00B

Good idea for a topic, this will be tough, as I feel all of the bands I listen to are the most important ones. I'll give it a shot...

The Beatles - The first band I was every into. I first took notice when I was in 3rd grade, my dad had a bunch of their CASSETTES and would play them in the car. After 10+ years, I still worship this band and get the same feelings when I listen to them as I did when I was younger.

Pink Floyd - I got into them around sixth grade. My dad had DSOTM on cassette and I thought it was incredible. Shortly after, he showed me the live disc of Ummagumma, Meddle, Relics, and Atom Heart Mother on CD. Ummagumma and One of These Days/Echoes from Meddle completely changed my view of what was possible with music. Prior to this, I was used to the more orthodox song structures of The Beatles, and Pink Floyd's long instrumental pieces really blew my mind at the time.

Metallica - After I got into the essential 60s/70s rock bands that all young teens do (Pink Floyd, Beatles, Zeppelin, Doors, Black Sabbath, etc.), I wanted something heavier. I went to Ozzy's solo career and, of course, Guns N Roses. But I grew tired of them and checked out Metallica. I was in eight grade and since MTV never played music videos, I watched videos on Yahoo Launch, which idk if it's still around. And I watched One, and that was it. I was hooked. After that, I got the Black Album and Justice and they were my absolute favorite band, probably for the next year and a half. I got Load and Ride next, and loved those albums. I got Puppets "late in the game," during the summer before high school, and when I did, I was totally hooked. I can probably never express the importance of that album at the time.

Megadeth - I got into them the same time as Metallica. I heard Symphony of Destruction on the radio and thought it was fucking awesome. I also paid more attention to Vice City when Peace Sells came on VROCK. I got Countdown shortly after and thought it was awesome. For some reason, I got Cryptic Writings as my second album, and this was before I tried smoking pot, so I'm not sure what my deal was. Shortly afterwards, during the summer, I got Youthanasia, and then Peace Sells at the same time I got Master of Puppets. It was an amazing summer. The following winter (freshman year), I got Rust in Peace and was hooked on that album. It had an influence on me equal to Master of Puppets.

Slayer - my first venture into extreme metal. It was the summer before my freshman year of high school, and I remember watching clips of Seasons and Dittohead online, and I knew Raining Blood from Vice City. Fast forward to September or October, and one day my friends and I took the 10 bus, and then walked 20 minutes to the nearest Best Buy and I bought Seasons and RIB together. I got GHUA that Christmas and played that album to death. I probably listened to that more than Seasons and RIB combined, but after a while, it grew old. I should really give it a listen again. This may surprise people, but the album that was probably the most important to me is Divine Intervention. I fucking love that album. It gets dumped on, but, whatever.

Tears For Fears - pretty random, but very important band for me. Like other bands on this list, I first heard them in Vice City (Pale Shelter). I actually really liked the song when I first heard it, but I never listened to anything until my friend showed me a live DVD during my freshman year of high school. I thought it was pretty good, and a few months later, borrowed their best of CD from him. I listened to it constantly, along with Rust in Peace, for a good couple months. I quickly bought their discography over the course of about 8 or 9 months and listened to the hell of them. I think they often get overlooked as being "another faceless 80s new wave band," but that's really too bad, because they're one of the best bands to come out of the 80s. There whole discography is solid, they don't have a bad song, and they have a lot of great melodies, and good, McCartney-esque bass.

Death - I started getting into death metal near the end of my freshman year. I can thank some friends during lunch for that, they brought a list of Cannibal Corpse titles and read them aloud. We laughed our asses off for a good hour, and every so often a title would pop into my head and I would laugh about it. Remembering the titles, I checked out their music, thought it was awesome, but didn't like the vocals. Back to Death, the following fall, I was reading some list of great guitar albums, and Human was on it, so I checked it out, and was blown away by how brutal it was. Sure, the vocals were a little much, but the instruments were insane. They were the first death metal band I really got into, and one of my top three. Human was my first death metal album, along with None So Vile, Chaos AD, and Maximum Violence (yep). I listened to the hell out of those albums, except Maximum Violence, but I ended up checking out more of Death's discography, and all of their albums ended up being awesome.

Type O Negative - I first heard of them when I was watching VH1's Most Metal Moments, and Peter Steele's Playgirl issue was one of them. Being young and stupid, this made me not think much of them, until my junior year of high school. One of my old friends was into them, so I watched the live videos from Symphony For The Devil and was instantly hooked. I was primarily listening to death metal at the time, and this was a real breath of fresh air. I watched this video three or so times a night for months, and probably listened to Red Water even more. They quickly became my favorite band, and probably still are. Peter's death greatly affected me, and it's still upsetting knowing that there will never be new Type O Negative music.

Immolation - I think I first heard of them my senior year of high school, but I never really checked them out until my first semester of college. I watched the video for World Agony and was in awe at their style. The dark, dissonant riffs were actually what death metal should be. I also love the way they arrange the drums, usually not straightforward blasting, but very off-time and locked in with the guitar. Soon afterwards, I got Close To A World Below and fell in love. I could maybe consider that my favorite death metal album.

Swans - are probably my last important band. I first heard of them as being an influence on Type O Negative and Napalm Death, so naturally I youtubed them. The first videos I watched were these awful mid 80s live videos, with some guy yelling/burping into a microphone with a bunch of noise in the background. But I didn't give up, I looked into Children of God and The Great Annihilator and my hope was restored (this was the summer before college, I think). The melody they had in their music and Jarboe's vocals seemed really different at the time, as I was pretty much listening to metal. I got The Great Annihilator for Christmas and played that album to death. It was really melodic and dark, but it wasn't cheesy or phoned in. It also had a lot of textures and atmosphere, which I found out that all of their albums do.

Sorry for the huge stories/paragraphs. IT HAD TO BE DONE.
11/1 - Samhain

Last edited by Jochen; 03-16-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Okay, gonna try this.

Linkin Park - probably the most inportant band of my life, or at least the one that has been with me the longest. I started listening to them when Hybrid Theory came out, and I listened to them all throughout the rest of elementary school all the way through high school. My interest started to fade by junior year or so of high school, and now I can;'t say I ever really listen to LP. But I saw them last year from right near the front, and it was still awesome, and I still play Hybrid Theory and Meteora here and there for nostalgia.

AC/DC - not much to say here. The band that helped me move past bands like Green Day and other pop/rock type acts that were popular around 2003-2004. I got into all the old school classic rock and 80s rock.metal around that time, and AC/DC was the band that started it for me.

Kiss - I LOVED Kiss back in 8th grase. I had CDs, a t-shirt, and Kept the Kiss songs on repeat in Tony Hawk's Underground. I loved the catchy songs and the imagery (even though I'm not into the extravagent images anymore haha). I still have fun listening to Kiss, and I'm glad I can say I have seen them live.

Disturbed - my band back in high school. I own all of their CDs, have multiple tour shirts, and have seen them 3 times total. I have listened to them so much over the years, and was a band I shared in common with one of my better friends for years. Lots of great memories with Disturbed songs playing. Seeing Disturbed and Godsmack together at Mayhem 2011 was my high chool dream come true. I had pretty much moved past those bands by then, but that was the co-headlining tour my and my friends always talked about wanting to see.

Killswitch Engage - the band that got me into "heavier" stuff. Metalcore was the style that really introduced me to screaming/growling vocals, and helped me get into all types of heavier music. I think any metal fan in Massachusetts feels a connection to Killswitch at some point.

In Flames - the band that helped me move past metalcore and into melodic death metal. Their first few albums were the greatest things ever to me at the time, and I love all of In Flames' stuff, despite how much they have changed.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul changed everything. The emotion I felt in that album was unlike anything I had heard before, and it is still one of my favorite albums of all time.

Morbid Angel - they got me into death metal, and opened the door to allow me to discover so many extreme, brutal, and fucked up bands. My favorite death metal band of all time, and Altars of Madness is one of my top albums ever.

Agalloch - Agalloch allowed me to realize that metal does not just need to be about louder/faster/more extreme. They create some of the most beautiful music I have hears, and I feel strong emotional connections to their music.

Discharge - allowed me to get into all types of other old-school punk. Discharge has such a uge influence on punk, so many bands have been directly influenced by them. I moved from Discharge to d-beat and crust punk, which is now some of my favorite music to listen to.
11/17 Warcry
11/18 Forward
12/7 Bastard Noise
1/11 Mayhem/Revenge
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 AM
That Guy

There are many different ways i can go about this but I will go with the bands that influenced me the most chronologically.

Metallica- The first real band I ever cared about. Back in 6th grade till the time St. Anger came out, they were the only band I listened to.

Dream Theater- The first real band i got into after St. Anger came out. i was recommended Train of Thought by several people who said this would be right up my alley, how little did I know they would change my life.

Opeth- Until I heard Deliverance (oddly enough the same day I heard Dream Theater) I hated every single band that screamed, growled, etc. It wasn't until I played Halo on xbox and had Deliverance pop up on random about 6 months later that I actually gave the album and band a real chance, and I became a fan of screams and growls and ever since. It also taught me that the MUSIC is what matters most. not the image, not the vocals, lyrics, but the actual music being made.

Clutch- Blues and Hard Rock. A match made in Heaven and a killer band through every album. Even the shittiest Clutch song beats the living fuck out of 98% of all music out there. One of the best bands the world will ever know.

Evergrey- The band that made me appreciate vocals and lyrics again. recreation Day is one of the most important albums in my life and it all had to do with the pure emotion behind the album. One of the most underrated bands to ever exist.

King's X- The MOST underrated band on the planet. The greatest musical trio to ever exist and barely anyone knows them, or they go "yeah I think I heard of them, they are alright, i guess" that is a fucking shame. Words don't do these guys justice just listen for yourself.

Dredg- My favorite non metal band in the world. They have written 5 classic albums so far and every album is a huge departure from the last. A band that can write what they love and not be pretentious.

Between The Buried And Me- Carrying on in the nothing is impossible side of making music. The album Colors taught me that you can write one 64 minute long song and make it one of the most interesting 64 minute journeys you can experience. Make any kind of music you want, and make it gel with any other style of music you want, it can work, and you don't know till you try. BTBAM has only gotten better and better over the years. I don't care what anyone says.

Devin Townsend- My hero. 'Nuff Said!

Alcest- The band that got me into one of my favorite genres, Blackgaze (Post Black Metal, Atmospheric Black metal, whatever you want to call it). I Love this sound so much. Alcest perfected it and bands that are beginning to follow are only making it better, if that was even possible. Neige is a real true hero of mine. He can create the most beautiful metal.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
King's X- The greatest musical trio to ever exist
Rush says "hi"

I do agree that King X's is great and very underrated though.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Rush says "hi"

I do agree that King X's is great and very underrated though.
While I want to agree with that, Rush is in The R&RHOF (Before Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc) King's X will never even be listened to by anyone involved.

I am in no way saying that place is the be all end all of Rock Music, but the mainstream does for artists. All the more reason why KX is way more underrated. Their biggest point was playing Woodstock 94, and no one in the mainstream cared since.