Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

King Diamond -- San Francisco, CA -- October 30th, 2014
Gojira -- Providence, RI -- October 30th, 2014
Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
While I want to agree with that, Rush is in The R&RHOF (Before Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc) King's X will never even be listened to by anyone involved.

I am in no way saying that place is the be all end all of Rock Music, but the mainstream does for artists. All the more reason why KX is way more underrated. Their biggest point was playing Woodstock 94, and no one in the mainstream cared since.
He didn't say anything about them being underrated. He was pointing out that you called King's X the greatest musical trio to ever exist, which Rush surely are.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
He didn't say anything about them being underrated. He was pointing out that you called King's X the greatest musical trio to ever exist, which Rush surely are.
Well since it's quoted now There's no point in deleting what I said. I just woke up so I missed that.

That's the thing with me that is strange. I love Rush to death but I don't consider them to be one of my biggest influences, or even much of an influence. And I am a drummer, which makes it stranger. I think a lot of it has to do with everything after Signals lost me big time until Vapor Trails came out. The Electronic era of Rush just did nothing for me and even the 90's Rush left a lot out of what I love about the band. Even with the shitty production, Vapor Trails was ont eh right path again and they've only improved since.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Metallica (2003) - The first CD I ever had (that got me into music as a whole) was a mix CD that I made from my brother's music collection that had four Metallica songs on it (Ride the Lightning, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Master of Puppets and Orion). Metallica has been one of my favorite bands since.

Linkin Park (2003) - That aforementioned mix CD had two Linkin Park songs (In the End and Runaway) on it as well and Linkin Park was probably my favorite band in middle school and the first part of high school. I stopped liking them once that shitty Jay-Z collaboration came out, but rediscovered them probably around my Senior year of high school.

Slayer (2004) - Hearing Seasons in the Abyss pretty much cemented metal as my favorite genre of all time. Life changing.

Rob Zombie (2005) - Hellbilly Deluxe was the first album I ever bought with my own money and still remains one of my favorite albums of all time to this day.

Cannibal Corpse, Death and Obituary (2006) I heard all these bands at about the same time and they really got me into death metal. I randomly downloaded "Fucked with a Knife" from Limewire because the title made me laugh. I saw some senior at school wearing a Scream Bloody Gore shirt and I had to know what that sounded like, so I went home and downloaded the title track. I was listening to the metal station on Music Choice or something like that and the song "Insane" by Obituary came on and I was instantly hooked on the band. Cause of Death was my shit in high school.

Anti-Flag and Bad Religion (2006) Thanks to the albums Underground Network and No Control, I went on a punk binge for about a year in my Sophomore/Junior years of high school and still have an avid love for the genre.

The Prodigy (2009) - The local alternative station (RIP Q101 ) used to play "Smack My Bitch Up" and "Firestarter" a lot and it was a breath of fresh air from some of the stuff they played. The Prodigy really opened me up to electronic music as a whole.

Dark Angel (2012) - I listened to Dark Angel very sparingly prior to buying Darkness Descends last year, but Darkness Descends soon became one of my favorite albums of all time. This also pretty much (with the help of Morbid Saint) made thrash overtake death metal as my favorite subgenre.
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
11/28 Hemdale ?
12/6 Helstar
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 AM
And now itís time to pull through. Something I must do with or without you.

DOWN!!!

BURY ME IN SMOKE WILL MAKE YOUR BALLS DROP!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I'm going to do this tomorrow after I wake up
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 PM
slave to the grind

Good topic! In chronological order:

Guns 'N' Roses - The first band I ever really cared about. I had a few tapes and records before them, but once I got "Appetite For Destruction," I was fully into music for life.

Metallica - Got into them shortly after G'N'R, they wound up being the first band I ever saw live and they blew me away. I had never heard something so powerful in my life.

The Circle Jerks - At the same time that I was discovering metal, I spent a large amount of time digging through my dad's old punk records. The Jerks were the band that really grabbed me first, I just loved the speed and humor of it all.

Morbid Angel - The first death metal band I ever heard. I was already into stuff like Pantera and Sepultura, and didn't think it could get any heavier. I was wrong. I was actually almost scared of these dudes at first. Seeing them live on the "Covenant" tour was one of the most terrifyingly awesome experiences of my life.

Logical Nonsense - The first band that taught me that punk rock could be really heavy. Their "Dead Time" album was the first thing I ever heard that took punk aggression to a new, almost metal, level.

Neurosis - The first band that was more than just a band, they were an experience. A band that couldn't be fully appreciated without fully immersing yourself into every aspect of it, both sonically and visually.

Avail - I had never had a true emotional connection to a band before Avail. There were always bands whose lyrics I related to big time, like Black Flag, but Avail seemed to be speaking directly to me and for me. My favorite band of all time.

Brutal Truth - I had always been looking for that one band that would truly bridge the gap between punk and death metal. Brutal Truth was it. I was really into the heavier side of punk, but I saw Brutal Truth at a death metal show and was floored by how much energy they had. That was when I truly fell in love with grindcore.

Dystopia - I've always been a fairly miserable person, and to put it simply, this band was the musical embodiment of misery. Everything, the riffs, the drumming, the lyrics, the vocal delivery, it all just seemed hopeless. I band I really related to then, and still do to this day.

Iron Maiden - I was a latecomer to Maiden. When I was a kid first getting into music was around the time that they put out some of their weaker albums and split with Bruce, so I was never really exposed to their greatness until years later. In a way, they kind of got me back into metal again, after years of mostly listening to punk and only the most brutal death metal. Also, Steve Harris changed the way I play bass.
11/1-Gatecreeper
11/3-King Diamond