Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 PM
...the dead are among us!

Skeletonwitch -- Austin, TX -- March 13th, 2013

Venue: The Mohawk

Skeletonwitch
Erased and Forgotten
Reduced to the Failure of Prayer
Beyond the Permafrost
This Horrifying Force (The Desire to Kill)
Submit to the Suffering
Repulsive Salvation
Sacrifice for the Slaughtergod
New Song
Choke Upon Betrayal
My Skin of Deceit
Of Ash and Torment
Cleaver of Souls
Crushed Beyond Dust
Within My Blood

Pallbearer
An Offering of Grief
Devoid of Redemption
Given to the Grave
New Song

I arrived to the ‘House of Vans’ at the Mohawk around 11:30 and there were about 50 or so people in line already. I briefly chatted with a couple of the Skeletonwitch guys while waiting because my spot in line was right near the door where the bands playing the outside stage were loading in. Tattoo artist Oliver Peck was walking through the line with a cameraman interviewing people to see if they had any bad tattoos as part of the Vans SXSW videos online. The doors were slated to open at noon, but they didn’t start letting people in ‘til about 12:20. I went straight to the inside stage and watched a couple songs from Batillus, who sounded crushing as ever. Since I’ve seen Batillus before and I knew I would see them again later in the week I left their set to check out Encrust (formerly known as Hunters) from Chicago on the outside stage. They came across as sludge with a hardcore attitude, it was not outrightly bad but it didn’t really captivate me. I went back inside before Encust finished so I wouldn’t miss any of Inter Arma. These guys sounded great, it’s an interesting black/sludge mix. It was my first time seeing them and I will make it a point to see them again during the week. Once they finished I walked outside to some moshing going on during the last couple Mutilation Rites songs. From one east coast black metal band to another Vattnet Viskar was up next on the inside stage and wasn’t about to miss a moment of those guys. Vattnet Viskar is a must-listen for fans of Deafheaven and Wolves In The Throne Room, so that should give you an idea of their sound. After Vattnet Viskar I moved to the top level of the patio to watch the tail end of Royal Thunder’s set on the outdoor stage. I’m not extremely familiar with their material, but I think I caught Blue and Mouth Of Fire in there. Since I knew I’d catch Pinkish Black later in the night I just stayed outside to watch all of Pallbearer’s set. They played a four song set closing with a new track. I assume the new song at the end was the same new one they’d played on the Enslaved tour, someone from the crowd asked what it was called and Brett just shrugged as if a title had not yet been selected. This was the seventh time I’ve seen Pallbearer and sometimes they can sound a little muddy, but this show sounded really good. Trash Talk played next outside and brought the first big pits of the day. The singer dropped into the crowd and climbed up the stairs that lead to the top patio and perched himself on top of the outer wall of the venue for a couple songs with the chaos of the pit below. At one point some kid jumped into the crowd from the second level as well. I left Trash Talk to go inside and I was able to catch Wet Lungs' last song. As soon as Trash Talk finished there was a huge stream of punks coming inside for Power Trip, but again I knew I’d see them later, so I went back out to get a good spot for Skeletonwitch. After a quick set up and brief soundcheck, the ‘Witch launched into a blazing set of blackened thrash. The circle pits were pretty constant throughout their set and despite being a very fast track, the new song slowed the crowd down a bit since no one knew it. The new song most definitely sounded promising and I look forward to another Skeletonwitch record. As manks mentioned recently, Within My Blood is one of the best set ending songs ever.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

yeaaahhh Sacrifice For The Slaughtergod!
10/21 - Judas Priest
10/22 - Mastodong
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
N00B

I watched Pallbearer, Trash Talk and Skeletonwitch on the Vans Stream yesterday and all 3 sets were SICK!!!! btw I met Pallbearer on the Enslaved tour and Brett told me the new song has No Title and the Lyrics arent set in stone either.

Last edited by bigguytoo9; 03-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Skeletonwitch/Mutilation Rites/and Trash Talk?!
10/31-King Diamond
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Hmm. If I had known I wasn't able to go to KMFDM today (yesterday technically), I would have gone to this. Sounds like a sick show man, glad you had fun!
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
N00B

how was the turnout? packed? not so much?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchimyo View Post
how was the turnout? packed? not so much?
It was a free show, so I think by about halfway through the bands the venue was at capacity.

Tags
pallbearer, skeletonwitch, sxsw