Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Rush -- Raleigh, NC -- May 3rd, 2013

Two words to sum up the night: Manhattan. Project.

This was another great show from Rush, quite possibly my favorite of the three times that I've seen them. The PNC Arena in Raleigh is a nice place with good sound and it's a bit on the small side so that helps you to feel like you're not so far away from the band. My seat was the first row about 2 and a half sections back on Geddy's side. Obviously not right up front, but I still had a great view and could actually see the "details", such as Geddy's furious fingers, with my own eyes instead of needing the video screens. The crowd was pretty good for this show, pretty energetic as far as Rush crowds go and while the 300 sections were curtained off, the floor, 100s, and 200s seemed packed. The other nice thing about my seat was that there was one seat to my left that was empty and then the aisle, and the couple on my right left about 9 songs in never to return. So I had about half the row to myself.

I picked up a tour shirt for $35. I should've taken merch pics but you can find the shirts at least on the Rush Backstage Club store. They had a leather jacked that ranged from $600 to $700 depending on how fat you were. Almost as bad as the 2,000 dollar Tool poster.

I saw the Clockwork Angels tour last year in DC on the first night that they played the B set. While Middletown Dreams, The Pass, and Dreamline are all great, I was hoping so badly that they would play the night A set at this show. And now it seems that there are two Night A sets they are using, one with Limelight and one with The Body Electric. I've been following the rotation since they started the tour in Austin and things had been looking good for me to get Body Electric / Bravado / Manhattan Project but you can't be sure until they're actually being played.

So the show kicked off with Subdivisions which I enjoyed as the opener more than last September in DC. It still doesn't have a huge kick but it is obviously a great song. Geddy sounded very good and it doesn't even need to be said that the instrumentation was great. I really enjoyed the video for Big Money. I can't say that I completely love Force Ten but it sounded really good this particular night. Grand Designs was freaking great. Last year I had just purchased the Power Windows album at Best Buy the day of the show so I wasn't terribly familiar with that material but I fell in love with it and I can easily say that it is one of my favorite Rush albums now. So hearing anything off it is a real treat. Once Grand Designs finished I felt very, very anxious because the next song would determine which set we were getting. While I'd absolutely love to hear Middletown Dreams again I was dying to hear Manhattan Project for the first time so I was praying they would go into The Body Electric next. After a few seconds of darkness in the arena, Neil started the drum intro to Body Electric and I can tell you that I was feeling very electric right that moment. It was really cool to hear a deep cut that I haven't heard before, Body Electric is not my favorite song on record but it was cool live. Territories is another of the Power Windows songs that was very cool to hear and The Analog Kid was one of the best songs of the night, love that solo. By this point in the set Geddy was really into it, dancing across the stage and just generally looking awesome. And again, those fingers.

Now Bravado was another one of the deep cuts I'd never heard before and it was amazing, easily the second best song of the night. Sometime during the middle of the song I looked around at the crowd and then back to the boys while singing loud and thought to myself, "This is why I do it, pay hundreds of dollars and drive for hours to come to these shows, because there's no place I'd rather be than right here." After a great instrumental, Far Cry wrapped up the first set with a nice blast of pyro.

The second set got off to a bit of a slow start though, the intermission seemed kind of jarring and for some reason I wasn't quite as into the first three new songs as I was last year. They sounded good, I just wasn't feeling them as much for some reason. There was pyro in Caravan. Things started to pick back up with Carnies which is a track I didn't hear last year and after seeing it I can say I've heard the whole album live with the obvious exception of BU2B2. The pyro at the end of Carnies was probably the coolest they had all night. The Wreckers is really where the second set got into it's groove. I maintain that it's the best song of 2012 and one of the most catchy Rush songs there is. It was another highlight of the night just like it was last year. The next few Clockwork Angels songs were very cool, especially Alex's solo in Halo Effect. The Garden was coming to a close when I began to feel my anticipation for Manhattan Project growing. This was going to be the song of the night for me and the one that I was so disappointed not hearing in 2012. All I can say is that it was even better than expected. I enjoyed every second of it and it was probably the best song I've heard at any of the four shows I've been to thus far this year. The visuals for it were very awesome as well.

Following Manhattan they rolled through a number of different hits. Each was awesome. Spirit of Radio was another one of the highlights of the night, I had only seen it once before so it's always a pleasure to see it again. All in all it may well have been the best Rush show I've been too and I would definitely be going tomorrow night in Virginia Beach if Alice in Chains wasn't also in town. Although I've decided that if Ticketmaster releases a seat in the 1st or 2nd row of the orchestra tomorrow before the show then I have no choice but to bail on AiC and see Rush up close and personal. 99% chance it won't happen but I will check periodically tomorrow afternoon just in case.

Set One:

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado
Where's My Thing? (with Drum Solo)
Far Cry

Set Two:

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect (guitar solo)
Seven Cities of Gold
The Garden
Manhattan Project
Drum Solo
Red Sector A
YYZ
The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer
2112: Overture/Temples Of Syrinx/Grand Finale
5/21 - Primus
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Why would you leave after nine songs?!?!

I've never understood people who do that.

I mean, I've left before an encore when it was getting way too late and I was tired or had to catch a train or something. But after only nine songs?
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Resident old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Why would you leave after nine songs?!?!

I've never understood people who do that.

I mean, I've left before an encore when it was getting way too late and I was tired or had to catch a train or something. But after only nine songs?
Probably won tickets on a contest or something and decided to check it out even though they aren't fans. Didn't dig it, so left? That would be the only reason I can think of.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM
N00B

When they played Manhattan in Phoenix I flipped because we were supposed to get set B and they had done Middletown earlier in the set. But since it was a filmed show they tweaked it a bit. It was fantastic.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 PM
N00B

I bet those people left because they realized Rush was not just going to play a greatest hits set.
Rock on the Range?
Kiss/Def Leppard
Outkast
Machine Head
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

They really need to bring back BU2B. I understand they wanted to give it a slight break, but come on, its one of their best songs ever. Bring the damn thing in.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 AM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenpriest View Post
When they played Manhattan in Phoenix I flipped because we were supposed to get set B and they had done Middletown earlier in the set. But since it was a filmed show they tweaked it a bit. It was fantastic.
I wish I could have gotten both those songs in one set. I saw them back to back nights on this tour last year and they dropped Middletown for Limelight. I've never been so mad to hear Limelight in my life.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 AM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
Probably won tickets on a contest or something and decided to check it out even though they aren't fans. Didn't dig it, so left? That would be the only reason I can think of.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLed19 View Post
I bet those people left because they realized Rush was not just going to play a greatest hits set.
Or this.

Or that they're a bunch of drunks who decided to just stay at the bar instead of at their seat, which frankly I prefer, rather than forcing me to move every 3 songs so your dumbass can get more beer or piss. If you wanna pay $100 for a ticket and then spend most of the show paying $10 for a shitty beer, more power to you, I guess.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
Also possible that they went to steal some empty seats that were closer. I've seen people do that plenty of times.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:43 AM
N00B

Nice. We got a rush cover by 3 inches of blood in rochester the other day.

Tags
rush