Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I just listened to the album again and I stand by my original opinion: the songs and riffs aren't bad at all, it's the way everything is put together that makes it a difficult listen (poor drum sound, less than stellar vocals, lack of guitar solos, repetitiveness).

Some of the riffs on that record are awesome: the intros to St. Anger and Sweet Amber are my favourites
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

There are 5 problems with this album:

1) It should have been produced by Mr. Necroticism himself, Colin Richardson. Bob Rock is a mainstream rock producer, not a metal producer. People say the drums are annoying, but honestly, the guitars are much much worse. Take the horrible With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness guitar tone and give it mainstream production and you have St. Anger.

2) It was too long. The album shouldn't have been longer than 47:22.

3) Was filled to the brim with trendy modern bullshit. They wanted to be Slipknot/Limp Bizkit/System of a Down so bad and it was disgusting. (I tried to listen to the album in full for the first time in years and when I got to Some Kind of Monster I fell over laughing because it sounded like Godsmack trying to be Satanic).

4) The horrible lyrics. The word "healthy" should never, ever appear in metal. Actually now that I think about it, it shouldn't be a lyric in music in general. When Sir-Mix-A-Lot sings "shake that healthy butt" it douche-chills my boner right into the ground.

5) Stupid clean guitar passages. You assholes had almost 19 years of being "artistic" and "forward moving" and "multi-dimensional" and whatever other bullshit buzzwords you used to try and convince your fans you weren't Motley Crue with less songwriting talent. 200 bpm or leave the hall.

Solos? Napalm Death never laid down a single guitar solo in their lives and made better albums than this crap. Though Kirk's remark in the movie about how not putting guitar solos on the album "dates it to this time period" was priceless.

Fun fact: Kashmir doesn't have a guitar solo. Neither does Hammer Smashed Face.

Last edited by JRA; 06-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
4) The horrible lyrics. The word "healthy" should never, ever appear in metal. Actually now that I think about it, it shouldn't be a lyric in music in general. When Sir-Mix-A-Lot sings "shake that healthy butt" it douche-chills my boner right into the ground.
I don't think all of the lyrics were terrible, but I hated that there was so much swearing for the sake of looking angry. "My World" is a prime example, but pretty much all of the songs attempted to be too angry.

Quote:
5) Stupid clean guitar passages. You assholes had almost 19 years of being "artistic" and "forward moving" and "multi-dimensional" and whatever other bullshit buzzwords you used to try and convince your fans you weren't Motley Crue with less songwriting talent. 200 bpm or leave the hall.
If you don't like the specific clean guitar passages, that is one thing, but there's nothing wrong with the band using them if it works. Realistically, had Metallica sounded anything like they did in the 80's, everyone would have complained it's just a rehash. It's the same thing with the new Sabbath album: damned if you do, damned if you don't. Most people here seem to like the new Sabbath, but I've seen some hate for it on other sites.

Quote:
Solos? Napalm Death never laid down a single guitar solo in their lives and made better albums than this crap. Though Kirk's remark in the movie about how not putting guitar solos on the album "dates it to this time period" was priceless.
There are great bands without solos (though I don't like Napalm Death), but Metallica is a band that has a clear distinction of James playing rhythm and Kirk playing lead. What's the point of him being in the band at that point (besides coming up with the classic lyric: "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle"). Metallica is a different band without classic solos in songs like "The Four Horsemen", "Fade To Black", and "Hit The Lights". While those are great songs in their own right, the solos really enhance them.

Quote:
Fun fact: Kashmir doesn't have a guitar solo. Neither does Hammer Smashed Face.
Again, different styles require different sounds. "Hammer Smashed Face" honestly would not have been any better or worse with a solo in there somewhere, but I can agree that solos don't always work.

Edit: forgot to mention about Kirk's comment on dating the album: he's 100% right. Not including guitar solos in that context dates it to the Nu-metal sound. It has nothing to do with the lack of solos in general, but rather, the lack of solos because of the popularity of Nu-metal. Adding solos would have gone a long way towards distancing the album from receiving the Nu-metal label.
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 PM

9 years and 364 days ago, my dumpster received a copy.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Realistically, had Metallica sounded anything like they did in the 80's, everyone would have complained it's just a rehash.

and the people that would have complained would have been fucking pituitary retards who should have their music collections and their brains taken away by social services.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
11/14 - Slayer
Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Heh, I remember the opening of St. Anger was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard. Was obsessed with this album when I was 14/15. Oh how times have changed. Nostalgia gives it a certain appeal, and I occasionally put on the title track when I'm hammered because the double bass just sounds so robotic and out of place it's hilarious.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

I still get lambasted a decade later, but I dig the album. Still blast it once in a while.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

I'm not sure what is the bigger troll.. this thread or the album itself?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Oh good, I was beginning to think I was the only one who threw mine out.