Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014
Masked Intruder -- Kansas City, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014

Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Every time I listen to Metallica, part of me has hope that they couldre tb433=- (cat just walked across keyboard)... they could come close to touching what they used to be. Even though they don't I guess I still like hearing them play some of my favorite songs, but I've only payed to see them once, and unless I was guaranteed a stellar set list I will never pay to see them again. Even more so now that a lot of my favorite bands are touring and playing shows for $20 and under, where I can get food, a few beers, a ticket, shirt, and record for less than the cost of a Metallica ticket.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Even more so now that a lot of my favorite bands are touring and playing shows for $20 and under, where I can get food, a few beers, a ticket, shirt, and record for less than the cost of a Metallica ticket.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Even more so now that a lot of my favorite bands are touring and playing shows for $20 and under, where I can get food, a few beers, a ticket, shirt, and record for less than the cost of a Metallica ticket.
This is truth.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Headbanger

I realized something really interesting while reading this thread. Metallica was my favorite band for at least 5 years during my "prime" and I saw them 3 times during that span. The Ride the Lightning Tour with WASP which I documented on this site. The Master Tour opening for Ozzy and the Justice headlining tour with Queensryche opening.

Ironically I haven't seen them live since. Not 100% sure why, I know some logistics come into play like Ocean City weekend when they came with Machine Head but I'm shocked that I haven't seen them live since then. The whole stadium, in the round thing is definitely a factor also but this thread has actually piqued my interest in seeing them again.

Plus the fact they're playing more Kill Em' All songs helps also. If they were coming around playing Kill Em All I would be there 1st in line. Hopefully they drop Nothing Else Matters by then too...

Also, you tube the Four Horsemen version from the Quebec show PowerMaiden posted. I know it's Newsted playing with a pick but I love that song sped up like that. James and Kirk were beastly back then...
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I realized something really interesting while reading this thread. Metallica was my favorite band for at least 5 years during my "prime" and I saw them 3 times during that span. The Ride the Lightning Tour with WASP which I documented on this site. The Master Tour opening for Ozzy and the Justice headlining tour with Queensryche opening.

Ironically I haven't seen them live since.

Wow. That is interesting. I'm sure many people would tell you that you've made the right decision.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Someone posted on Facebook the other day, "Metallica just played Kill 'em All in its' entirety, could it get any better than that?" and all I could think was "yeah, if a Metallica cover band played Kill 'em All in its' entirety."
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post

Ironically I haven't seen them live since. Not 100% sure why, I know some logistics come into play like Ocean City weekend when they came with Machine Head but I'm shocked that I haven't seen them live since then. The whole stadium, in the round thing is definitely a factor also but this thread has actually piqued my interest in seeing them again.

Plus the fact they're playing more Kill Em' All songs helps also. If they were coming around playing Kill Em All I would be there 1st in line. Hopefully they drop Nothing Else Matters by then too...

Also, you tube the Four Horsemen version from the Quebec show PowerMaiden posted. I know it's Newsted playing with a pick but I love that song sped up like that. James and Kirk were beastly back then...
I was in the same situation as you back in late 2008 (hadn't seen Metallica since the 80's) when they came through Seattle and my friend persuaded me to go against my better judgment. Ultimately, I was disappointed in the show (if interested, you can read my comments here: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthr...allica+seattle), but I saw them again at the Big 4 show in Indio and enjoyed them and it seems as though they are starting to play a lot more songs from the best (first three) albums. Hopefully that trend continues.
07/31 - W.O.A.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

My disclaimer is that I credit Metallica for getting me into metal music and they are and maybe always will be in my top 5 bands. I have seen them 5 times: 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, and 2011. My issue with '03 and '04 was, at least the shows I went to James voice wasn't that good, but I had a good time anyhow.

2008 and 2009 James voice improved and the show in Denver is my top show by them as they played Ride, Memory, Damage, Last Caress and Hit the Lights along with the hits.

2011 was the Big 4 show and that is where things dropped off for me simply because Slayer owned the entire night and Metallica just seemed really old and worn out compared to that.

As for the band members, I think now these days James voice is quite good, Kirk can be killer on the guitar as long as he isn't abusing the shit out of his wah-wah; Rob is quite talented on bass and has done a great job taking in the metallica catalog since they really started pulling from it more starting in '04. Lars....well I have made my peace that he is going to get worse and worse as the years go on; he is had his bright spots but I feel like its a waste of my time to join the "OMG he sux he can't do double bass FAIL" crowd. He is what he is and lucky the majority of Metallica's stuff isn't super complex drum wise.

I hope to see them many times in the future but I won't really go out my way to see them; In '09 was my birthday and my Dad came along and helped pay for the trip; '11 was the Big 4 and that was a special event. But mainly due to limits on money I won't travel to see them unless A) they come to Denver, which won't happen until a new album comes out which looking at updates could be next year or 2019 and B) it's something really special like them playing a classic album in full.

To end my rambling I have enjoyed the times I have seen them, but I know there are other bands that can blow them out of the water in a live setting (Slayer, Iron Maiden come to mind), and I don't really have full faith that their next album (whenever it comes out) will blow me away BUT I will always listen to them and take their music to my grave
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I've only seen Metallica once and that was in 2009 but I had a great time at the show. I thought not knowing what they were gonna play was exciting and I thought the guys put a lot into their performance and interacted with the fans a lot and seemed to be having a really good time. I know that maybe James vocals and Lars drumming is not the best but I didn't find their musicianship to be so lacking that it detracted from the show. I would definitely like to see them again.

I could see how older fans may feel differently though.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Saw them three times and they were great every time. But all three times were on the Death Magnetic tour, so my reference point is now 5 years old.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival