Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014
Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014
Megadeth -- Denver, CO -- September 16th, 2007
Queen -- Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-23-2013, 09:31 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

One Shot, One Kill: What's Your Favorite Song?

This has probably been done before but I can't remember seeing it in the last year. So what's your favorite song? Not your favorite song by ten different bands: one song. You can change it later if you want but if you change it then it probably isn't your favorite song. If you even really have to think about it it may not be your favorite song. Post a link to share and a little story telling why.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Mutherfucker=Redeemer (Part 2) from the album Yanqui U.X.O.

My favorite song. I'm big on albums having a really strong closing song. It leaves you breathless, makes you reflect on what you just heard and lasts with you hours after it's done. A song that's so good you actually feel sad that it's over. Mutherfucker=Redeemer (Part 2) is that song for me. It starts out pretty slow and mythotical for the first couple of minutes then breaks into that jangly main part. There's so much going on that it takes a few listens for you to realize all of it. It's pretty muddy sounding too so you really have to pay close attention to what's going on. But the rewards are worth it. There are three guitars going on, some of it in the background so when you notice it the song is taken to a whole other level. Then around seven minutes in it falls apart and that outro starts. That's what brings this album from "good song" to "best song ever". There are really few words and phrases to describe that part. "Jesus Christ"? "Holy Shit"? "Fuuuuuuuck"? This expression: Those are the best ones I can think of. This song could have been thirty minutes long and it would still be the best song ever. But since it's so short (ten minutes) it leaves you wanting more. But sometimes you have to know when to quit while you’re ahead. Godspeed You! Black Emperor knew and it made for the best closing to an album ever. There are lots of songs I like but they come up on iTunes or my iPod and I'll skip them. I don't skip this song. I first heard this song ten years ago. It was late at night and I was watching TV when I was listening to the whole album. There was some foreign film playing on whatever channel I was watching and the visuals from that movie matched up perfectly with this song. It was a surreal experience. The song has been my favorite song ever since and nothing else has come close.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Bon Jovi - Dry County.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Not that these two really need Youtube links but here you go:

Iron Maiden - Infinite Dreams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVDGtAzQph0

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3YhkvbUjB4

I know that I'm only supposed to pick one but when I read the first post both of these songs sprang instantly to mind and I really don't know which I'd consider me favorite.

For me Hallowed is just such a perfect blend of everything, great lyrics, slow moody moments, climactic buildups, great solos and riffs, fantastic vocals, and, especially live, it just invokes the feeling of complete catharsis.

However, I feel like Infinite Dreams has many of the same elements and also has had a huge impact on my life and has a lot of sentimental value for me. The song itself is dramatic and powerful, full of a diverse range of musical shading and textures, the drumming is top-notch, the bass is furious, the lyrics are thought-provoking, the guitar melodies can't be beat, and Bruce sounds great as per the norm.

On a more personal level this is the song that got me into Iron Maiden, heavy metal, rock and roll, and music in the general sense. I still remember the very first time I heard this song back when I was 14 and was totally blown away. I had such little knowledge of or interaction with rock music back then it was unbelievable, I didn't even know who Kiss were, anything about AC/DC, no knowledge of Metallica, I wouldn't have even recognized the riff to Smoke on the Water or known what Welcome to the Jungle, Crazy Train, or Stairway to Heaven sounded like. However, on the crazy recommendation of a friend I went on the internet and looked up a band called Iron Maiden and this was the first song I ran across. To say it drastically changed my life is an understatement. Rock and metal music became the biggest and most important hobby in my life, Iron Maiden became and has always stayed my favorite band ever, and this song has remained one of my absolute favorites of all time, if not the favorite of all time.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Fuck you.

Deep Purple - Child In Time
Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Bon Jovi - Blood On Blood http://grooveshark.com/s/Blood+On+Blood/2414Xn?src=5

This song is just an phenomenal piece of not just rock music, but music in general.The shimmering acoustic guitars, the incredible electric guitars, amazing piano and keyboards, solid bass, and booming drums all make this song just absolutely perfect.The guitar solo is a masterpiece in and of itself, it's as if Richie is telling a story within a story with this solo, and I've yet to find anything like it.The vocals are outstanding from both Richie and Jon,and the song also has my favorite pre-chorus of all-time.Considering when this song was released, it definitely wasn't your typical hard rock song at the time, and I really can't think of anything that really sounds like this.I guess I can say it's Bruce Springsteen with guitar overdrive cranked up without the horns.I can also relate to this song on a personal level, because the song is about friendship and friendship is really important to me.No other song that's ever been made (IMO) captures this more than this song does, and therefore until a song that is of this level is released this will always remain my favorite song of all-time, even if Bon Jovi doesn't remain my favorite band.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
This has probably been done before but I can't remember seeing it in the last year. So what's your favorite song? Not your favorite song by ten different bands: one song. You can change it later if you want but if you change it then it probably isn't your favorite song. If you even really have to think about it it may not be your favorite song. Post a link to share and a little story telling why.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Mutherfucker=Redeemer (Part 2) from the album Yanqui U.X.O.

My favorite song. I'm big on albums having a really strong closing song. It leaves you breathless, makes you reflect on what you just heard and lasts with you hours after it's done. A song that's so good you actually feel sad that it's over. Mutherfucker=Redeemer (Part 2) is that song for me. It starts out pretty slow and mythotical for the first couple of minutes then breaks into that jangly main part. There's so much going on that it takes a few listens for you to realize all of it. It's pretty muddy sounding too so you really have to pay close attention to what's going on. But the rewards are worth it. There are three guitars going on, some of it in the background so when you notice it the song is taken to a whole other level. Then around seven minutes in it falls apart and that outro starts. That's what brings this album from "good song" to "best song ever". There are really few words and phrases to describe that part. "Jesus Christ"? "Holy Shit"? "Fuuuuuuuck"? This expression: Those are the best ones I can think of. This song could have been thirty minutes long and it would still be the best song ever. But since it's so short (ten minutes) it leaves you wanting more. But sometimes you have to know when to quit while you’re ahead. Godspeed You! Black Emperor knew and it made for the best closing to an album ever. There are lots of songs I like but they come up on iTunes or my iPod and I'll skip them. I don't skip this song. I first heard this song ten years ago. It was late at night and I was watching TV when I was listening to the whole album. There was some foreign film playing on whatever channel I was watching and the visuals from that movie matched up perfectly with this song. It was a surreal experience. The song has been my favorite song ever since and nothing else has come close.
I know exactly every word of which you speak. Sadly, I can't do that for one song. It's just not possible...because there's so many songs like the one you posted it's bananas. Closers to albums that leave you breathless? I guess you need to listen to the whole album for perspective and maximum impact, but here's a few.

Amorphis - Summer's End
Burzum - Tomhet
Goo Goo Dolls - So Far Away

The Maiden section:
When The Wild Wind Blows
The Legacy
Only The Good Die Young
The Unbeliever - yes I mean it

My Dying Bride - A Doomed Lover
U2 - Cedars Of Lebanon
ZZ Top - Asleep In The Desert

Sorry I couldn't do what you asked, for me it's not a possibility. But hopefully, someone here clicks on a link from a song they haven't heard and is inspired enough to feel what I feel.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Skeletonwitch - Within My Blood
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Asleep in the Desert was really cool. As for The Unbeliever, interesting choice. I agree that the chorus is awesome but, in my opinion, the verses are just so clunky and awkward.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
If there's a God then why has he let me go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
For me Hallowed is just such a perfect blend of everything, great lyrics, slow moody moments, climactic buildups, great solos and riffs, fantastic vocals, and, especially live, it just invokes the feeling of complete catharsis.
I couldn't say it any better.
10/20 Pallbearer
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Unfortunately, mine wouldn't be a metal song. It's a toss-up between Sting - "Fields of Gold" (the song my wife and I danced to at our wedding) and U2 - "With or Without You" (the song we wanted to dance to but didn't choose because we didn't feel like explaining 5,684,238,965 times why we picked a song with those lyrics to dance to at our wedding).