Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 11-03-2013, 07:57 AM
N00B

How is the price of tour merch determined?

I guess this is mostly a question for people who have worked on tours or have any knowledge of the touring business in any way, or even people who are in bands who have played shows and sold merch themselves. But any information is appreciated.

This is a question I never thought of too much until recently, and it was triggered again at last night's Black Dahlia Murder show, where all the bands were selling shirts for $15. I think this is only the second show i've been to where shirts were that low (the other, perhaps to no one's surprise, being a Skeletonwitch headliner back in June, who were also on this tour).

In the past I always (perhaps incorrectly) assumed it was a simple as "the bigger the band, the more expensive the shirt/hat/sweater/poster/thong/whatever." And for the most part that was kind of showing to be true, with the big arena bands usually charging something like $40 where the smaller club bands charging $30 at the most in most cases. But lately i've noticed that it's inconsistent, as there are some bands that are bigger than others and charge the same amount or sometimes less than smaller bands. I've also noticed that some bands charge more at certain shows, usually support shows or festivals, then they do on their own headlining runs. e.g. Gojira and Killswitch Engage both charged 35 or 40 shirts at Heavy TO last year but only $25 on their respective headlining club runs later that year. KsE also is charging more on the Lamb of God tour than they did on that run where they played Alive or Just Breathing in its entirety. Shadows Fall charged less on the Hatebreed tour than on that same KsE Alive or Just breathing run, even though they were billed in the same slot and were playing the same sized venues.

So basically, what goes into it? Do bands have to price match against the headlining bands? Do venues/promoters take a cut causing prices to go up when the venues are bigger? Is it really as simple as "bigger the band, higher the cost"? Do bands just say "fuck it, we'll charge this much" with no real thought so long as the make a profit? Combination of some or all of those? none?

Basically a longwinded way to ask a simple question, but yeah, i've always been curious and thought i'd lay out how I got to wondering it.

TL;DR: What factors go into a band's merch prices on tour.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

It will always be the balance of greed and requirement, mostly.

Everyone uses the same stock (Fruit of the Loom, Gildan, etc.), and printing is always going to cost broadly the same for most bands, less for the likes of Iron Maiden because they print in higher quantities, so it's all about how much profit they want to put on top.

Sometimes smaller bands need to charge more because it's the only way they're going to recoup the costs of touring, or because their record is selling, or something like that. With big bands, similar concerns exist, like cost of touring, but there's a bigger greed element with them.

In terms of support, I don't know if the same hard-and-fast rule occurs in the US, but here they almost always have to charge whatever the headliners are charging. It's why you should never, for example, buy the shirt of a band supporting Iron Maiden, because the same shirts will probably be cheaper at their own headlining shows, or when they support someone who charges less for their own shirts.

Prime example: Symphony X supporting Dream Theater in the UK and were forced to charge 22 (~$35) for their shirts because that's what DT were charging. They were able to book their own headlining tour a few months later off the back of that, and charged 15 (~$23) for the same shirts, plus the tour shirt.

By and large though, sellng merch is a touring band's best source of income, so the mark-up will reflect how much money they need to make in order to offset all their other costs.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
In terms of support, I don't know if the same hard-and-fast rule occurs in the US, but here they almost always have to charge whatever the headliners are charging. It's why you should never, for example, buy the shirt of a band supporting Iron Maiden, because the same shirts will probably be cheaper at their own headlining shows, or when they support someone who charges less for their own shirts.
I think that's what caused a bit of a feud between Rob Zombie and Bullet for my Valentine when they supported him in the US and Rob forced BFMV to charge $40 for tshirts, and they refused and got kicked off the tour or something.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Yeah Gojira AND 4Arm were charging $35 for shirts at the Slayer show, I'm sure not by their own choosing.
I also know that SF venues charge a higher tax on merch at shows so shirts might be marked up a little bit in certain areas.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

What Raven said. Also festivals, some of them, do take a cut of merch too. It's usually small, but it is there.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Pass the steak sauce

I've always wondered the same thing myself, as t-shirt prices at shows are consistently ridiculous. I can somewhat understand Iron Maiden charging $40 for a shirt, but Black Label Society charging $40 a shirt at a headline club show? C'mon now.... not to mention those $100+ denim vests with the patches on them. Craziness. I remember Overkill shirts being $22 when I saw them in 2010 and could never understand how they came up with that number. The cheapest shirts I've ever seen at a show were Nunslaughter charging $10 for theirs, but that show wasn't at a legit venue so they definitely didn't have to pay any fees for merch sold
10/19 - THE KING
11/18 - Manowar
Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Yeah Gojira AND 4Arm were charging $35 for shirts at the Slayer show
and 4arm? lol
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 11-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
and 4arm? lol
Yeah pretty crazy, refer back to Maiden33's story about opening for Motley Crue on that one.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:07 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackedUpForBBQ View Post
The cheapest shirts I've ever seen at a show were Nunslaughter charging $10 for theirs, but that show wasn't at a legit venue so they definitely didn't have to pay any fees for merch sold
I seen Exodus this year and the tour shirts were ten and fifteen euro. At an actual venue that was 3/4 full. I was in shock

Some bands are more mindful of making smaller profit in favor of shifting greater stock too, I would say. Complicated business.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

As for my band, we just make our prices dirt cheap to make them move faster, thus more people buy due to them being cheap and affordable. We're still a local band... we can't charge $17 for a CD and expect people to buy it , we charge $10 for t-shirts/girl shirts, $15 for long sleeve, $20 for hoodie, and $5 for CD's.....

Sadly our grand plan of "Sell Cheap = More Sells" didn't work to well on our tours, and we lost a lot more than we gained since no one cared to support us (and the lack of any turnout didn't help either).

I think it's all about tour cost and making sure you will have enough for gas/food/lodging, etc.... but when it comes to bigger tours, you obviously have to charge more to pay back the promoters (i'd guess), pay off your debt with the label, or match with a set price that the headliner puts on (like Six Feet Under....).

It's all about the business really, and not much about the music once you're signed. You're just a walking advertisement.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com