Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

So back in my review I said before Die by the Sword Tom asked for silence; at the time we thought it was a gimck to see if people would really shut up at a Slayer show, a show with drunk and high people

Turns out, not so much:
http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2...view_photo.php

Quote:
The throngs of metal-heads at Slayer's sold-out Fillmore appearance may have been more excited for the show than Slayer's own front man Tom Araya.
It was Slayer's first Denver stop since the death of guitarist Jeff Hanneman and the well-publicized split with drummer Dave Lombardo, both in the last year. Fans were treated to the return of Paul Bostaph, who drummed for Slayer through the '90s. Exodus guitarist Gary Holt is pulling double duty on this tour, opening with his own band, then recharging during Suicidal Tendencies before he takes the stage again with Slayer.
Despite a set list drawing heavily from Slayer's first six albums -- a treat for longtime fans -- post-show discussion had more to do with Araya's attitude toward the crowd.

The band played half its set without interruption before Araya asked for crowd silence, a confusing request to make of 3,700 rabid drunk Slayer fans. With respects yet to be paid to Hanneman, many were quiet. Others apparently thought Araya was being facetious and cheered louder. Araya asked three times, each time met with the opposite results before he moved straight into the next song. It was the longest two minutes in the nineteen-song hour-and-a-half set.

After the set, Araya thanked fans and said they would "maybe" be back.

slayer-review-lead.jpg
Eric Gruneisen

Slayer did unfurl a banner during the last few songs that paid tribute to the band's late guitarist, a parody of the Heineken logo that read "Angel of Death" across the top and "Hanneman" instead of the actual company logo. Otherwise, he was not mentioned.

Fans had mixed reaction in social media. "Besides Tom crying on stage about the audience not being silent, you could really tell that he didn't want to be on stage performing," remarked one attendee. "I'm thinking they may be done soon," said another.

Still others were unfazed by the apparent drama, posting their screams of "Slayer" complete with extra vowels in all caps throughout Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
In our defense, Tom did not ask silence for Jeff; I guarantee that if he had said "lets have a moment of silence for Jeff", we would have shut the fuck up.....oh well
Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableJustice View Post
all about the y'all
It's too tight to mention.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 AM
N00B

Hmm

Im just shocked at this Tom wanting a moment of silence for Jeff thing.

I was there and it felt extremely awkward. My wife, who really knows next to nothing about Slayer or metal for that matter but went to the show, asked during this weird silence thing "is he trying to honor something or someone?"

Jeff didn't cross my mind as Tom was asking for silence. Now that I read this it does make sense. Im sitting here telling my wife and I'm getting the "I told you so, I knew something was up!".

I just don't get why Tom or someone else didn't mention something more about Jeff. But instead chose to kinda give us a hard time about not being quiet.

Very strange to me.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Old Guy

This might have happened at the Salt Lake show the previous night too but I was having a hard time understanding Tom whenever he was just talking into the microphone. There were definitely some pauses before Die By The Sword and Tom was repeating something but I couldn't understand what. I don't think the crowd was terribly quiet either but they may not have understood like I didn't. I don't think asking for a moment of silence at a Slayer show is the best idea in general but it needed to be a lot more clear if that's what he wanted.
4-22 Nightwish

Last edited by Wrecking Crew; 05-14-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Heres the video that you guys are talking about. Pretty fucking awkward and weird. Tom seems pretty pissed, especially during the part where he says "I better walk off this stage?! THEN SILENCE!! SILENCE!!! You guys can't do it, can you???"...Jesus.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Is Tom going to start pulling a Axl or Danzig?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Tom & Kerry's reaction to Jeff's death wasn't already that "nice" right after he died. The video of King in Germany, which Jeff "loved", comes to mind.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Heres the video that you guys are talking about. Pretty fucking awkward and weird. Tom seems pretty pissed, especially during the part where he says "I better walk off this stage?! THEN SILENCE!! SILENCE!!! You guys can't do it, can you???"...Jesus.
OK, this didn't happen at the SLC show, that video was just bizarre. I read in the KC show review about Tom asking something about believing in the word right before Die By The Sword a few times and I now remember that is what happened at the SLC show. Can't imagine what Tom was thinking there asking for silence and threatening to leave, maybe Slayer should hang it up like many suggest if this is how he is going to act. Having a moment of noise for Jeff like someone else said does seem much more appropriate.
4-22 Nightwish
Old 05-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

I'm more concerned with the orientation of that video than the content.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I'm more concerned with the orientation of that video than the content.
4-22 Nightwish

Tags
exodus, slayer, suicidal tendencies